New vaillant teething probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off been glued to this site for last few weeks as my newish ch system gets bedded in and a few probs arise.
A single storey Extension has just been added to the rear of my existing kitchen and the rooms opened up.

A new eco tech plus self venting boiler was fitted in the garage (replacing floor standing ideal boiler and pump located in kitchen)and new pipework joined to the existing above the kitchen ceiling.
A New pump was installed in rear central back bedroom along with new cylinder same location as prev cylinder .everything in the house dates 1970.

The original pipework was a bit bodged i was told, and a lot was taken back and new put in its place.
Two tall finned rads were added to the extention a total of 11 rads now. some new dbs some old 1970s dbs.

First off boiler knocks ,kettles and bangs a bit but has quieted down a great deal since
1. a bypass was added
2. a bigger 22m?expansion pipe was fitted
3.treatment added to system.

Secondly the pump which is quite loud runs continuous despite temp reached and despite being OFF on timer(all new honeywell)
And last... Boiler seems always to be doing nothing yet temp on thermostat not reached.

My corgi reg builder is super and is trying different things. Being of inq nature i thought i would get your thoughts and so help out if i can .
your valued thoughts and opinions warmly welcomed.ps am looking at pump issue at moment but although there seems to be setting on this boiler dont know how to access them.

Sponsored Links
Did you CORGI reg builder calculate the whole house heat loss before recommending the size of boiler?

What size is it? Its the two figures after the "4".

Was the system power flushed?

What chemicals have been used on the system?

He seems to be having far more problems than any normal installer would have ( = 0 )

Tony

My corgi reg builder is super and is trying different things.

That said I'd guess your 'Corgi reg builder' has b*ll*xed up the installation as most 'Corgi reg builders' seem to do when faced with anything other than a combi and push fit plastic.

Hi Tony. Dont say That ! LOL
1 Dont know about calcs
2 Yes I believe it has been flushed
3 its a 428
4 sorry dont know what chemical used.

Sponsored Links
the boilers probably too big and needs range rating. The pump should ideally be a 15/60 on speed 3. Whydid they not put a 22mm open vent in at the start? and a bypass if it was required? It also sounds like its not wired uo properly. Would be interested to know if the pumps wired into the boiler or not.

The pump would seem to have a permanent live which is keeping it on all the time. The boiler you mentioned is still noisy? Perhaps the bypass needs more adjustment. No disrepect to your corgi reg builder but unfortuneatly this is fairly basic stuff and should stick out like a sore thumb to a good engineer.

Thanks for your comments will try to answer.
bypass is set at .5 if it is undone to 3 the pump gets a little quieter but the rads upstairs dont seem to get hot.
Wiring to pump i presume will be his first port of call when he comes over after the hols.

There's obviously a circulation problem. Could be a plumbing problem or a blockage. Have you got any pictures of the pipework around where the pump is?

Punterpete, can you affix some pictures to this post?

If I were you I would think seriously about how you will discuss the fact that you have received advice and published pictures on this forum.

Some tradesmen will take great offence and pack up their tools never to return.

I guess you have to put yourself in their position; if you have worked in an office for 2 years and one day someone comes in with a load of advice on where you have been going wrong from a load of armchair pundits on an internet forum - how would you feel?

Here goes .....

012.jpg

013.jpg

009.jpg

What about the pipes around the boiler? The motorised valve left of cylinder could be a problem to fix when it fails.

Thanks for your comments .personally i would not have a problem someone giving me advice on how i could improve on the service i provide .or in the manner i do things.
I take great pride in my work and l truly enjoy to pass my knowledge freely and to nvq students etc.
I have great respect for my tradesman and i am very pleased with the work he has done in my house.we all live and learn my tradesman i am sure would welcome a suggestion that solves the problem and makes me happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back