New window in a stone wall

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks

Also what's the usual method of filling the cavity around the holes cut for the window please?

Steve

Do you mean building up the inner reveal? Nowadays cavity closers are used, but on your house the brickwork was probably returned to the facework with a 3/4 bat on one course and and 1/4 on the next. When sliding sash windows were set back across the cavity it was normally left open and covered by the frame.

Sponsored Links
Hi Sorry to join in on an old thread but I was interested in what Frank mentioned about fitting cement boards to the window reveals in old rubble and stone thick walls to stop mould growing. I have recently moved into an old property with 24 inch thick walls and I have sealed all around the windows which weren't fitted very well and I am confident I have now stopped any water ingress. However, I am now finding that mould is appearing on the internal window reveals and I am wondering if the cement board has fixed this long term. I cannot find any mention of using this method via a Google search. I have tried cleaning the mould off using biocides and bleach and ventilating the room but the mould still returns

Attachments

• window reveal.jpg
    window reveal.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 17
Hi Sorry to join in on an old thread but I was interested in what Frank mentioned about fitting cement boards to the window reveals in old rubble and stone thick walls to stop mould growing. I have recently moved into an old property with 24 inch thick walls and I have sealed all around the windows which weren't fitted very well and I am confident I have now stopped any water ingress. However, I am now finding that mould is appearing on the internal window reveals and I am wondering if the cement board has fixed this long term. I cannot find any mention of using this method via a Google search. I have tried cleaning the mould off using biocides and bleach and ventilating the room but the mould still returns
Black spot mould is symptomatic of moisture problems created from WITHIN. Window reveals being one of the most vulnerable and most difficult to fix. Looking at the window jamb indicates you ample room to fit some insulated plasterboard to that wall, without losing to much of the window profile.

Do you think aquapanel or insulated plasterboard will solve this problem? I have been looking on the net for a couple of days to see what others have done but not found anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back