New windows and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the whole house double glazed a couple of months ago, with upvc frames. Now it’s getting colder I’ve noticed that in the morning we get condensation on the inside of our bedroom window. The rest of the house has it on the outside. We’ve not put the heating on yet. Not had this with our old d/g windows

should this be happening? I wondered if the unit has been damaged or put in with the wrong side facing inwards

Sponsored Links
Probably sweaty bodies :LOL: and no heating, as it’s your bedroom.

Every time you breathe, you exhale moisture.

Try sleeping with the window open a little to ventilate.

(y)

Had the whole house double glazed a couple of months ago, with upvc frames. Now it’s getting colder I’ve noticed that in the morning we get condensation on the inside of our bedroom window.
I have a feeling your new windows do not have trickle vents.

Funny thing is, I’ve just walked down our road and none of the other houses have this problem

Sponsored Links
Funny thing is, I’ve just walked down our road and none of the other houses have this problem

Hi,
Are you talking about the inside or outside condensation here? :)

Outside condensation is a phenomenon produced by modern well insulated windows, see here for an explanation:
https://aspirebifolds.co.uk/2017/11/what-causes-condensation-on-the-outside-of-new-windows/

As for condensation on the inside, it depends how much you are talking about!
Is it just in the corners, or is it a large amount covering the whole pane?

A photo might help explain :)

Really important to keep a window locked ajar to maintain that exchange of air. I don't do it overnight as I'm a light sleeper, but as soon as I'm up the window is cracked open and left that way all day (12 hours). Trickle vents are okay at maintaining a small are of condensation-free glass at the top of the window, but not much else!

Solution is - as is often said on here - ventilation of rooms and the provision of warmth. If struggling you can put that film of extra glazing on the frame (sheets stuck on with adhesive tape and blow-dried into a tight film). They can look a bit amateur but they work perfectly.

Maybe your old windows had slightly perished seals all around and were letting air in and out.

it might be that the other residents have already encountered it, and improved the ventilation.

Hi,
Are you talking about the inside or outside condensation here? :)

As for condensation on the inside, it depends how much you are talking about!
Is it just in the corners, or is it a large amount covering the whole pane?

we get it inside and out! I am aware that when it’s outside, that shows that the windows are doing there job.

Basically the whole of the inside of the window is covered (which is 6ft x 3ft approx) up to about a couple of inches from the top and all the way along the top. Also possibly worth mentioning, the curtains are very thick and thermal lined

do you dry washing in the house or is it near a shower or bath??

I bet you've been breathing in bed, haven't you?

are all the doors kept shut or is it a generally open house including the bedroom door ??

you need to remove the excess moisture try opening the window a few inches during the day to try and reduce the moisture level as the colder the air the less moisture it can hold and this now condenses on the coldest surface and that is usually the bottom part off the glass as you have progressively warmer air towards the top
you reduce the moisture level in the air with the same temperature, you will get less condensation on the window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back