New York

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm off to New York shortly.

Has anyone been there? I'm after recommendations or ideas of things to do or see.

I've booked a trip to Niagra falls, so that will occupy one of the days, but I don't really have any itinnery for the rest of the time. I will be there for 6 days.

Thanks for any suggestions. :D

Sponsored Links
Hi

Don't do any jay walking as they are ****hot on that over there. :(

My GF went last year and loved it.

Visit the Empire State building.
Take a boat tour around the Statue of Liberty.

Sponsored Links
Am I being a bit green here, but what is jay walking? Kerb crawling or something? I wasn't planning on that anyway, so pehaps as well :LOL:

Am I being a bit green here, but what is jay walking?
Not so much green as green cross code, ie dont walk off the pavement(sidewalk) without looking out for traffic, only cross when permitted to.

Central park is good just for people watching. Empire State Building is a must. Statue of Liberty is a waste of time going up it although the trip to the island is ok if you want some photos of Manhattan.
I did go up the WTC but that is impossible now and also makes the photos from Liberty Island not as spectacular now they are gone. Times Square is full of life at night.
Can't remember many more as it was 13 years ago. Have a good time Rob and post us some piccys!

Just looking on the link from Stivino, and I see spamalot is on broadway. I think that will be well worth a visit.

I will post one photo a week in electrics UK for the next seven years :LOL:

Thanks for the ideas. Keep em coming :D

Yes, there is so little info about New York available, and its rarely in the news or the back-drop to a film :rolleyes:

You could have a look at the DIY going on at that building that collapsed a few years ago, the cracked pavement where King Kong fell down, the statue which marks the spot where the ice cream cone was invented, or just have a stroll in the delightful and most welcoming ethnic quarters.

Or just mingle with the ignorant, xenophobic, mixed up, self-centred, sorrow-wallowing natives in the park.

Don't forget to smile and crack a little joke to the idiot customs guard on the way in :cool:

And after last night's C4 programme, go to 23 Wall St and look at the shrapnel damage in the masonry after the world's first car bomb exploded. I have never seen this mentioned in any tourist books.

Go on the Staten Island ferry, it's free and passes the Stat of Lib. Oh what the heck, get a tourist book from the library.

I spent 2 hours in a que on the 50th odd floor in the Empire State building, just to get the second lift up to the top.

Nightmare!

Hot this time of year. Watch 'Do The Right Thing', that's a typical NY summer.

So much going on in New York, hard to know where to start, just being there is a great holiday in itself without 'seeing the sights'
Don't be a typical tourist and stick to Manhattan, go and check out Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx too. Despite their reputations and a few dodgy spots there's still plenty to see and do for even the slightly adventurous tourist.

Buy a travelcard for the underground and you can hop about all over the place.

Get a metro card - 7 day was cheap in 2006 - bus or tube (metro) anywhere in NYC anytime ... Grab a map showing bus route / stops and metro stations... Give away the final day's card use as part of a tip...

Brunch at diners - should see you through the day !! EEnormous portions.

En route to ferries for Statue of Liberty, stroll around ground zero - note Liberty street NY fire house Ladder 10 Engine 10 - about 20 metres from a tower - several guys were lost from there.. easy stroll to ferry.

NB. Avenues run North / south, streets east / west

Central Park.
East side off 5th Avenue Metropoliton Museum of Art, nip across park to west side, south on Central Park West to Lennon's end piece - Dakota building, less than 2 km stroll from museum.

We didn't do Empire state - Rockefeller centre - did the tour then up to viewing platform ' top of the rock' great views North to C park, South, Empire state building, Manhattan and on to the statue of Liberty upon the Hudson.

So much to see - so little time - enjoy it !!

:cool:

Ellis island is quite interesting,it`s where all the immagrants to the US landed and where processed.Its not particularly well set up but its interesting .
Various bus tours that have different themes ie TV series locations and film locatations.
On a clear day empire state building has amazing views over about 4 states i think.
Half price ticket booth in times square for that days shows Q`s build up well before it opens.
Rainbow room which is on the 65th floor of the rockerfella centre is a classy bar with fantastic views of the city at night but is expensive £10 a short but well worth having a couple
Walked around in early hours of morning and didn`t feel threatened in anyway as in all big cities you don`t go into dark places etc.
Macy`s is a must for shopping easy to spend all day in there and spend a fortune even though it roughly in dollars what we would pay in dollars.
For normal type pubs there is quite a few around grand central station which is also a must see

you could allways visit jerremies ale house on the eastern seaboard under the manhatton bridge.

apparently the is my wifes bra :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back