newbie here ... quick primatic question

Hi, i have two tanks in my loft. the cold water tank and a small expansion tank. the small tank collects hot water when i have my central heating on
No, it does not.
The small tank feeds you ch system, and the pumping over indicates the common back boiler problem: badly corroded and blocked.

bengasman, how would you solve this problem then? think i may have come across this yday, sent to re-commission a 552 (system was drained over winter) and when i switched heating on there seemed to be no circulation what so ever, (pump was fine) so i thought blockage

Sponsored Links
But why the cold FEED into the tank?
Indeed.
Either a complete muppet installer, or op did not look/describe accurately.

Listen & learn Bengasman :mrgreen: , you were having your nappy changed when these type systems were being installed.........................reason for cold water main via ballvalve was to stop plastic cistern from melting due to 90 degrees plus water temp (stat failure) , galvanized cisterns were a different kettle of fish.

You have a lot to learn!

I dispanded from the CC a few years ago due to too many 'muppets'? (unqualified/no clue?) posting in there. ;)

But why the cold FEED into the tank?
Indeed.

Listen & learn Bengasman :mrgreen: , you were having your nappy changed when these type systems were being installed.........................reason for cold water main via ballvalve was to stop plastic cistern from melting due to 90 degrees plus water temp (stat failure) , galvanized cisterns were a different kettle of fish.

You have a lot to learn!

I dispanded from the CC a few years ago due to too many 'muppets'? (unqualified/no clue?) posting in there. ;)

Bit harsh ?

Sponsored Links
Listen & learn Bengasman :mrgreen: , you were having your nappy changed when these type systems were being installed.............
You sound just like my neighbour who took a minute and a half parking his car in a 25 foot gap a few weeks ago. his reply to my comment that I should have brought my lunch:
"Young man, I've been driving for 73 years......... :rolleyes:

1. You wouldn't have a clue about a poster's age, which brings your remark down to a pointless presumption.
2. Age does not make you a good installer.
3. Youth does not make you a bad installer.
4. Your argument about the cold water cuts to protect the tank from melting cuts not ice; it just shows you are no more a RGI then I am a long legged blonde.
5. The amount of times I have heard: " he didn't have his corgi card with him, he forgot..........

the idea behind primatics were they were quick to install saving time on site, seems a bit crazy to then install a second tank with cold feed and o/flow, if your going to spend the time and money doing that you might as well put in a indirect cylinder, you only have to connect a feed and job done.

the idea behind primatics were they were quick to install saving time on site, seems a bit crazy to then install a second tank with cold feed and o/flow...
That isn't so much the point P. It only has an inlet, and no outlet , which wouldn't make it just unnecessary, it would serve no purpose at all.

Indeed.

Listen & learn Bengasman :mrgreen: , you were having your nappy changed when these type systems were being installed
:[/quote]

Bit harsh ?[/quote]

Not really when you consider the 'muppet'? comment , i doubt he was out on the tools in the 70s?

Installation of these cisterns were an 'add on' after these primatics were fitted , just because it wasn't recognised or understood to the average installer doesn't mean it wasn't a better way of doing things , i've come across a few of these installations over the years , doesn't make the installer a 'muppet' because another person doesn't understand the reason why these were installed in this way.

bengasman";p="1981081 said:
it just shows you are no more a RGI then I am a long legged blonde.
quote]

:mrgreen:

I was registered with CORGI before it was compulsory (70s) , i think it was £50 for membership? , with this you got a BIG brown envelope containing BS codes of practice , they weren't cheap back then. :eek:

...I was registered with CORGI before it was compulsory (70s)

So what? Does that mean you can diagnose any fault in under 5 minutes? Does that mean you can explain WHY different steamers have different CO2 targets for setting up? I very much doubt it.

Seen plenty of guys who "had been on the tools for 30 years mate, don't' need to tell me nuffink" but still can't diagnose a blocked p-hex.
In fact, most that boast about how long they've "been in the game" are actually not that good; it often really is like the old boy down the road who still can't park after 70 years of driving.

Come to think of it, you sound suspiciously like waterburnerdrivelpuller. :rolleyes:

Does that mean you can explain WHY different steamers have different CO2 targets for setting up? I very much doubt it.
:

CO2 targets? , measuring CO2 by itself wont tell the operative much if anything , how does the operative know whether products of combustion are on the rich/lean side of stoich? (CO2 max) , without knowing CO/excess air percentages CO2% has little or no bearing. :confused:

Regarding 'boiler fault finding' , some appliances take less than a couple of minutes to diagnose while others may take 30 minutes , some can take a lot longer if 'tech' won't answer the phones.

sent to re-commission a 552 (system was drained over winter) and when i switched heating on there seemed to be no circulation what so ever, (pump was fine) so i thought blockage

Some of these boilers were fitted with an 'injection tee' dependant on system layout , sometimes the only way to clear these was to remove & clean.

Does that mean you can explain WHY different steamers have different CO2 targets for setting up? I very much doubt it.
:

CO2 targets? , measuring CO2 by itself wont tell the operative much if anything...

Now I know for sure you are a troll; CO2 on it's own is a very important value and if it is under or above a certain number for a boiler, I can tell you with my eyes closed what's wrong with it.

:

CO2 targets? , measuring CO2 by itself wont tell the operative much if anything...

Now I know for sure you are a troll; CO2 on it's own is a very important value and if it is under or above a certain number for a boiler, I can tell you with my eyes closed what's wrong with it.

above on a baxi duotec ? lol :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back