newbie here ... quick primatic question

CO2 on it's own is a very important value and if it is under or above a certain number for a boiler, I can tell you with my eyes closed what's wrong with it.

As i said , CO2max is around 11.9% , a read out of 8% , 9% or even 10% will not tell the operative whether CO2% is on the rich side of stoich or the lean side.

What CO2% are you looking for? :confused: .... CO2 percentages alone does not tell you anything , i suggest you look into CPA1 , Kevin @ GES is a great bloke (maybe he can look in & advise?) , make that call.

I am not a Troll , just someone who's been in the trade a few years. :confused:

Have a look at these three print outs.....

O2%................... 2..................... 4.......................6
CO (ppm).............100....................300.................700
CO2%..................10.76.................9.62................8.48
CO/CO2 ratio........000929...............00031............0082......eek
XS air...................10.58.................23.6.................40.26

As you can see CO2% alone doesn't give us the full picture.

Sponsored Links
What CO2% are you looking for?

The amount the manufacturer says I should look for. :rolleyes:

.... CO2 percentages alone does not tell you anything...
What you mean is: they don't tell you anything. If they are outside the required limits, it tells me the boiler is set up wrong.

If the CO2 levels are above what the manufacturer requires, there is a very good chance the nox levels will go through the roof and thus you get nitric acid which is not only many times more corrosive than carbonic acid, it is also toxic.
The worst that can happen when you ingest carbonic acid, is a burp. Nitric acid will kill you as happily as it will kill the boiler. Carbonic acid does nothing to stainless steel and very little to aluminum, nitric acid will eat through both.

If you don't know this kind of thing, you either got your info from google, or you have really not kept up with the times. The former is what trolls do, the latter is typical for the wide boy who never bothered to learn about what came after the Kingfisher.

Bit like the '30 mph' speed limit. ;)

Any RGI worth his salts will know CO2% is a figure derived from O2/CO2max , relying solely on CO2% volume in products of combustion would deem any operative a liability , if you can't give me an answer as to why you think CO2% alone is the way forward then i rest my case.

Have another Google at Nitrogen oxides , Nitric oxide and Nitrogen dioxide.......... ;)

What is with the constant name calling? , first you call me a muppet , then a troll , then a sad old man that's past his sell by date , then to top it all you say I am not an RGI.

Sponsored Links
...if you can't give me an answer as to why you think CO2% alone is the way forward then i rest my case.

Like I said: put your glasses on, or maybe brush up on your reading skills.
I never said CO2 alone is the only important number , which is totally different from: it can tell you something, which was never the case according to you.

Have another Google at Nitrogen oxides , Nitric oxide and Nitrogen dioxide.......... ;)
Nitrogen oxides plus O2 => nitric acid afaik.

I don't think we have to concern ourselves too much regards pollutants of nitrogen :rolleyes: , seems the boiler manufactures have that pretty well sorted with regard to burner/HEx design , i take it we're still refering to condensing boilers? (steamers :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the discussion , been interesting to say the least , got a couple of Kingfishers along with a Dip to service tommorow , high tech indeed. :p....Oh & a vaillant 831 ecotec that i'm not to sure about. :confused: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back