NHS Contact Tracing App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely knowing the compatibility of networks is an easy thing to check before staring off on our world beating contact app?!
Also, having this contact tracing was a major part of easing the lockdown, said our government.. We're still easing lockdown without it and suddenly it isn't a priority?

Smacks of incompetence again and Filly, no matter who was in government I'd say the same. To dismiss it as Boris bashing is petty!

Sponsored Links
I'm not a fan of Apple. In some ways I see them as a more expensive me too. It's a common trick when companies can get away with it - overprice it. ;) Must admit though that in the PC case they initially chose a much better processor than IBM did. It was modern. IBM spec'd old hat as what they were used to. Google, well we all know about google.

Generating app''s for either can be problematic due to OS updates. Or are they really. One of the thing about Linux that caused MS a lot of thought is that Linux is the business end of the OS. Graphic aspects etc are effectively an application. It's still more efficient than Windows.

It's not something they could do quickly now but they could go the Korea way. It uses data that is already gathered for other reasons. If people are concerned about it then simple don't install it but I suspect many would. Only the paranoid wouldn't. It's the sort of thing that can just sit there and be used when needed. A phone might be on version 10000 when it's next needed so would need updating and testing far too often to be of any real use. This is the reason I mostly thought they were pi ssing into the wind also bluetooth. Trying to use it for something it was never intended for. That can always be tricky and it seems googapple screwed that up.

Last edited:
Going on the reporting and posts about the app problems rather than taking in all of the media feast comments I think I'll stick with what was said on the brief.

There are a number of countries that have failed as well. They say that they have also tested the google etc app and that has problems as well

The disgusting thing really is that googapple wont play ball and give countries what they need from an app to get max use out of it. No skin off their nose or is it?

Some people feel that protecting our privacy is important. To do what some want it to do, the app database will know where everybody is at any time. Not a policy any tech company sits comfortably with, especially if a Government's hands.

Sponsored Links
The 27 nations of the EU will probably develop something. Several of them are very strong in data privacy and preventing government spying.

Boris usually refuses to cooperate with EU initiatives.

The issue with the govt app was the inability to interface with apples locked down Bluetooth. While I’m glad that the government have ditched their idea of a central app, google have form for data use secrecy and Apple while making excellent products deliberately proprietise them for profit.
They also have form in trying to block governmental surveillance. It may be a bit hypocritical, but this is consistent with previous behaviour.

Borrowed from a mate:

Apple - We will make a free track and trace system.
Google - We will help, then it will works across 99 percent of phones. Should be ready by May.
UK govt - No, We'll make our own version.
Apple and Google - you'd need our help.
Uk govt. - No we dont, Dom's mate says he can do it.
Apple and Google - off you go then.
Dom's mate - can I have your propriety code.
Apple and Google - hahahaha. No.
Dom's mate - why not?
Apple and Google - Because your system breaches international privacy laws by ripping peoples contact data and storing it on your servers so you can use or sell it later.
Public - It does? **** that!
WHO - you need a working track and trace system before ending lockdown.
Hancock - our world beating system is up and running, at a cost of only £120,000,000
NHS - no its not.
Hancock - we have hit a snag.
Public - Whats that?
Hancock - It doesn't work on iPhones. Or Android. And nobody wants to download it.
Whole world - really...?

Pretty much sums it up.

Some people feel that protecting our privacy is important. To do what some want it to do, the app database will know where everybody is at any time. Not a policy any tech company sits comfortably with, especially if a Government's hands.

Yet phones are tracked anyway so why aren't they doing nasty things / misusing that? :) The reason is simple - we wouldn't put up with it. It's just used by the law at various levels.

Borrowed from a mate:

Apple - We will make a free track and trace system.
Google - We will help, then it will works across 99 percent of phones. Should be ready by May.
UK govt - No, We'll make our own version.
Apple and Google - you'd need our help.
Uk govt. - No we dont, Dom's mate says he can do it.
Apple and Google - off you go then.
Dom's mate - can I have your propriety code.
Apple and Google - hahahaha. No.
Dom's mate - why not?
Apple and Google - Because your system breaches international privacy laws by ripping peoples contact data and storing it on your servers so you can use or sell it later.
Public - It does? **** that!
WHO - you need a working track and trace system before ending lockdown.
Hancock - our world beating system is up and running, at a cost of only £120,000,000
NHS - no its not.
Hancock - we have hit a snag.
Public - Whats that?
Hancock - It doesn't work on iPhones. Or Android. And nobody wants to download it.
Whole world - really...?

Pretty much sums it up.

Might be worth mentioning that the Apple and Google app isn't accurate enough on distances, and only works on 'new' phones, just for balance like.
Might also be worth mentioning that if the Apple Google app is adopted, it will incorporate aspects of the NHS app, just for balance like.

Out of curiosity, who is Dominic Cummings 'friend' who was given the app contract.

Might be worth mentioning that the Apple and Google app isn't accurate enough on distances, and only works on 'new' phones, just for balance like.
Might also be worth mentioning that if the Apple Google app is adopted, it will incorporate aspects of the NHS app, just for balance like.

Out of curiosity, who is Dominic Cummings 'friend' who was given the app contract.
Source? AFAIK the Google/apple one is more compatible.

As for the range, I thought the NHSX one was struggling badly due to Bluetooth range detection being unreliable.

More information would be interesting.

Source? AFAIK the Google/apple one is more compatible.

As for the range, I thought the NHSX one was struggling badly due to Bluetooth range detection being unreliable.

More information would be interesting.

Switch on Radio 2 they're talking about it now and played Matt Hancocks statement on the matter.

Who is Dominic Cummings 'friend' who got the contract for the tracing app?

I wouldn't say that any statement from Matt Hancock is "fact" he's known for being totally out of his depth.
If he said the sky was blue I'd pop outside to check

I wouldn't say that any statement from Matt Hancock is "fact" he's known for being totally out of his depth.
If he said the sky was blue I'd pop outside to check

He's not the only one saying the NHS app is accurate to 3 feet distance, Apple Google is nowhere near that. That's why they want to incorporate parts of the nhs app into the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links