Niceic or Napit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice and recommendations. I'm finally considering going out on my own after 15 years of working for a company and looking at joining the NIC or Napit.

My work will mainly be domestic installation and maintenance work, condition reports and some commercial works.

My questions are, with the NIC as a domestic installer are you able to certificate commercial works? I assume so as this does not come under part p but correct me if I'm wrong.. I would probably start as a domestic installer and work my way to approved contractor after I have a few jobs behind me.

I know Napit don't have defined scope like the NIC but are they recognised by customers as well as the NIC. I have seen a lot of old posts on comparing them both but what do people think about them now.

For starting a new company who would you recommend?

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
You don't need to be a member of either to sign off commercial work.

Elecsa for me, really good and friendly service, with very informed and helpful tech guy! You can still have the nicy logo on van/paper as they both under the same umbrella with Certsure.

looking at joining the NIC or Napit.
NIC is better known - other than that it makes no difference.

My questions are, with the NIC as a domestic installer are you able to certificate commercial works?
Anyone can certify work. If you mean notification (to LABC) then it does not apply to commercial work.

I assume so as this does not come under part p but correct me if I'm wrong.. I would probably start as a domestic installer and work my way to approved contractor after I have a few jobs behind me.
Ok.
You will need more than registration for commercial work.

I know Napit don't have defined scope like the NIC but are they recognised by customers as well as the NIC. I have seen a lot of old posts on comparing them both but what do people think about them now.
As above.

For starting a new company who would you recommend?
NIC would be more advantageous but that doesn't mean they are good.

You don't need to be a member of either to sign off commercial work.

Elecsa for me, really good and friendly service, with very informed and helpful tech guy! You can still have the nicy logo on van/paper as they both under the same umbrella with Certsure.

I haven't looked into them to be honest. I'll look into them.

Another thing I was interested in with the NIC was the online certificates that I could complete on my iPad or phone. Do Elecsa do any online certificates or certification software, also do Napit have mobile certification software?

Sponsored Links
I assume so as this does not come under part p but correct me if I'm wrong.. I would probably start as a domestic installer and work my way to approved contractor after I have a few jobs behind me.
Ok.
You will need more than registration for commercial work.

What do you mean by more than registration? More than a domestic installer?

I assume so as this does not come under part p but correct me if I'm wrong
You might be wrong.

It depends on what the "commercial" environment is, and where it gets its supply.

screenshot_523.jpg

I have all qualifications in place and also a qualified supervisor for the company I currently work for..
Then why did you want to start of as a "domestic installer"?

I was not fully aware of the difference to be honest. I know a domestic installer Can act like a 'bolt on' so other trades can part p their works. Although I've seen a lot of electricians vans that state they are domestic installers and I think this is where the confussions come from.

I was not fully aware of the difference to be honest.
It is a fictional/fatuous name invented by the schemes to cover those NOT qualified.
After all, if you are a fully qualified electrician why would you want domestic installer as a title?

I know a domestic installer Can act like a 'bolt on' so other trades can part p their works.
Precisely.

Although I've seen a lot of electricians vans that state they are domestic installers and I think this is where the confussions come from.
It's likely they are not properly qualified.
Would a fully qualified surgeon only advertise that he can remove splinters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back