nightmare with wickes tub adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having watched the tiles on the kitchen wall fall off the next day, I won't be using that *hit again. I have just bought 300x450 tiles to do the bathroom, the walls have been replastered 3 months ago. This time I want to use the right stuff. I am tiling around a cast iron bath with a shower mounted above it. What's the way forward experts?

Sponsored Links
acrylic sealer first usually, but check the instructions on the adhesive that you do use. most tilers would advise a powdered adhesive by bal or granfix for a tile of that size.
if you really want to use a ready mixed then granfix multifix is pretty good and it self primes so no need to use a primer.

what kind of tile is it? e.g. porcelain etc.

you may be wise to consider tanking in the shower area

The box says ceramic, I think it would be wise to steer clear of tub adhesive, Bal is a name I've seen around a lot, soperhaps they're the boys to trust. What is tanking?

Tanking is a waterproof membrane like this one:
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/BAWP1SPK.html?gclid=CLyGxcWgpKkCFQRP4Qodvxb-uA
There are probably places that sell it cheaper than that though!

For that size tile you would need a cement based powder adhesive. However, you have limited yourself somewhat as to what tiles you can have.
Plain plasterboard can hold up to 32kg per m2
Plastered walls can hold 20kg per m2
some cement based backer boards can hold 40kg plus per m2
You need to allow approx 4kg per m2 for adhesive and grout.

You would do well to have a good read of the tiling sticky and look through archived posts before you continue.
And weigh the tiles to see if the walls are up to it ;)

K

Sponsored Links
The box says ceramic, I think it would be wise to steer clear of tub adhesive, Bal is a name I've seen around a lot, soperhaps they're the boys to trust. What is tanking?
You should never have used tub ready mix addy (even a decent one) on that size/weight of tile full stop. The other posts have pretty much covered my usual drivel & warnings but if you plan on using similar size/weight tiles in the bathroom, you could have shot yourself in the foot by having it plastered. As MPE posted, plaster will restrict your tile weight to around 20 kg/sqm, including up to 4 kg/sqm for addy/gout; if your tiles weigh more than around 18 kg/sqm, you could have a problem.

Always use quality trade products. BAL is all I use as I know their products well but there are others equally as good; as stated, read the tiling sticky etc, etc come back with questions if you need to ;)

Richard, the tiles in the kitchen were 200x100.

Jeez, the wall/weight thing, who'd have thought that! out of interest, if I'm sitting the tiles on top of the bath, who cares about the weight cos the bath is supporting them, or am I missing something?

I'll read the tiling sticky

you AINT tiling the bath......YOUR tiling onto the WALL......

take the advice you have been giving.

Tictic, if you read Richard's comment, you'll notice he invited me to ask questions, perhaps he was trying to be helpful, unlike you, who cannot type properly, I presume you are trying to be a ****, congratulations...........you've suceeded mate!

what's that about typing/spelling..........can you SPOT the typing above ..

next time you want to call me an ar s hole,.. son...do your homework!!

soperhaps...is that a word?

talking off ar s e h oles....if you want i can put one in a tile for you, just using a claw hammer and a 4oz pin hammer...

...ah a nice hot shower there.... :LOL: ....anyway i will ..whats that word..ah.. thats it....'steer'...clear off this thread... ;)

Richard, the tiles in the kitchen were 200x100.
A tub mix will easily cope with those (even Wickes), something else wrong; tiling over non porous surface, gloss or acrylic paint or possible grease contamination; insuficient/incorrect prep/primer; using the wrong trowel.

Jeez, the wall/weight thing, who'd have thought that! out of interest, if I'm sitting the tiles on top of the bath, who cares about the weight cos the bath is supporting them, or am I missing something?
Most definitely; I’m afraid the bath isn’t supporting the tiles, you should leave a 2mm gap there anyway. The weight restriction is to do with plaster adhesion; based on testing, plaster manufacturers & the Tile Association stipulate maximum weights for various substrates. Basically the maximum “pull off” strength of plaster has been tested to the equivalent of hanging around 20 kg/sqm off it (tiles, adhesive & grout). There is most likely a safety margin but if you exceed the max weight by more than around 10%, there is a very good chance your tiles will fall off the wall!, taking the plaster with them!

I think you owe Tictic an apology; we all have our individual styles & his can be fairly direct & to the point, as we can all be at times. He is, however, a very knowledgeable & respected trade contributor to this Forum & nothing in his original post justifies the comment you made.

As the author of the Tiling Sticky & a former respected contributor used to say;
“If I’m curt with you it’s because time is a factor. The Wolf” ;)

Richard, thank you for taking the extra time to answer my question. I'm sure you'll agree that those who are interested in something will ask questions in order to further their understanding.

Regarding the ticked off Tictic, if someone is prepared to post a reply that is in no way helpful and is in fact rude, they must expect a 'response' back, I'm sure you'll agree that is fair. If a person cannot receive, he shouldn't give it in the first place should he? (oops,he did get a bit excited didn't he?). I have no doubt that he is to tiling what Tyson was to boxing, but we should all have manners shouldn't we? I don't see any need for an apology, but if he wants to go first..........

The kitchen wall was also newly plastered, most of the dodgy tiles had been cut with a wet cutter and were therefore damp, I wonder if that was the reason?

Only just breezed over this thread but not seen a mention of if the adhesive came off the wall or off the tile.
I like multifix for the reason metioned earlier that it is self priming.
I trowl the wall but also back butter the tiles with a thin skim of adhesive.
I wouldnt have though a little dampness from the wet saw would cause a problem unless they were sopping wet.
As Richard says larger tiles will require a powdered adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back