nights out in hotel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, was wondering if any of you work away from home ? how much do you get on the lodge now as it is a long time since i have done it . our boss wants us to work away for 2 weeks, we have asked him how much he was giving us and he said just the cost of a hotel :!: we used to get money on top, does this still happen ?

Sponsored Links
We get either hotel plus around £20 per night average for lunch and evening meal or, if we're away longer and being put up in a flat or similar with kitchen facilities where we can prepare our own meals just like we would at home, just the cost of the accomodation.

Plus, of course, travel expenses including travelling home for the weekends.

I haven't lodged for some time but some others on the same company are currently getting digs paid for and £60 meal allowance. That works out at £15 per day, mondays breakfast is expected to be taken with us and there's no evening meal on the friday so strictly speaking 3 full days and 2 half days. Pretty certain that is what is stated for allowances in the National Working Rule Agreement.

I used to get the hotel paid for, Monday dinner, tues 3 meals, wed 3 meals, thurs 3 meals and fri 2 meals - didnt have a choice I put it on company credit card, in my eyes I was not in a position to pack a lunch for the day or breakfast so it was fair, the wife still had to do a weekly shop etc

I didnt completely take the pee though, never got paid any extra whilst working away and never booked any overtime whilst working away despite doing a couple of extra hours every day.

Those were the days, employment lol!

Sponsored Links
I used to get the hotel booked by our receptionist. Bed only.(usually) We paid for our own meals whilst away but kept the receipts and claimed when we got back to base. One of the lads decided to have beer & a burger at a wetherspoons PH once, and the company refused to pay the full cost, stopping £2 off the receipt for the pint. :eek:
Sometimes, If we were lucky, the hotel was a B&B so at least got breakfast before we left in the morning. If your boss isn't giving you something for meals whilst your away, I'd question him about it. Very unfair to expect you to pay for your own meals whilst having to live away from home for a fortnight.

hi all, was wondering if any of you work away from home ? how much do you get on the lodge now as it is a long time since i have done it . our boss wants us to work away for 2 weeks, we have asked him how much he was giving us and he said just the cost of a hotel :!: we used to get money on top, does this still happen ?
If your contract dosnt mention working away, then negotiate with your boss, that is unless work is in short supply & you are concerned about a job.

We get Bed, Breakfast and Evening meal at Premier Inn
we have to buy our lunch, but to be honest after ploughing through a full English etc and 2 or 3 course evening meal, with a pint or two allowed, then you don't really miss lunch too much!! ;)

One of my old bosses wouldn't pay for food, saying if you were at home you would have to pay for it yourself.

No-one ever liked him. :evil:

Andy

My father used to work away, but got paid a fixed amount for digs so he took turns with 4 others to drive the 300miles each day , meant early start and late finish but slept in his own bed and made a nice profit out of the boss. ;)

I did some pipe fitting in London two years ago - got £25 a night for accomodation and £10 a day for food! Stingy fckers!

All of our guys have both a premier inn and travelodge card which pays for accommodation and meals (with or without a pint there choice).
plus they also get a £10 lunch allowance as well.

One of my old bosses wouldn't pay for food, saying if you were at home you would have to pay for it yourself.

No-one ever liked him. :evil:

Andy

In that case I would have insisted on being accomodated somewhere with full cooking facilities, a nice sofa to sit on, Sky TV, a local pub frequented by people I know and like, and a wench to warm the bed - coz that's what I'd have if I were at home!

:D :D :D

did the job away, in the end he paid for a travelodge and gave us 25 a night, so was not to bad :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back