Nits - aarghh!

toffee said:
thankyou julie,
I thought cold sores were herpes and so could get from getting a kiss lip to lip.??

Herpes is the medical term for cold sores.

And you should't kiss anyone anywhere when you have them!!

Sponsored Links
JulieL/B said:
toffee said:
thankyou julie,
I thought cold sores were herpes and so could get from getting a kiss lip to lip.??

Herpes is the medical term for cold sores.

And you should't kiss anyone anywhere when you have them!!

Can I also add that if you suffer from them then you should never kiss babies either! It has now been found that HSV1 (cold sores) is usually transmitted to people as babies but the symptoms do not appear until they are teenagers :cry:

As for the delightful headlice.... Yes, they do prefer clean hair as it means they can lay their eggs (nits) on the hair shafts - they can't grip properly on dirty hair. You won't start feeling itchy from them until they have bitten you (to feed) around 10,000 times as this is when the body starts to become 'allergic' for lack of a better word, to the bites.

The best way to prevent head lice is to use a shampoo containing NEEM. It poisons headlice and so they die and can't reproduce :D And imho one of the best ways of eradicating them is by a 'bug zapper' Argos sell them, they are electronic combs that zap the lice (a bit like the blue lamps in a butchers kill flies). You'll need to do it at least twice a day for two weeks to kill the infestation though.

I personally, don't like the chemical solutions. I know they are deemed 'safe' to use now but in 20 years time who's to say that they won't find them carcinogenic like they have some of the earlier treatments?

If only the govt. would re-fund the Nit Nurses! I have had people bringing me lice sellotaped to pieces of paper and asking what they were as they didn't have a clue. One woman totally disbelieved that HER child could have headlice - even when you could see them crawling around in the little girls hair she had so many :cry:

Brightness said:
As for the delightful headlice.... Yes, they do prefer clean hair as it means they can lay their eggs (nits) on the hair shafts - they can't grip properly on dirty hair.

can vouch for that..both our young girls get regular 'nit infections' from nursery, and they usually make their way onto the wifes head..

me on the other hand, with long coarse hair which is normally full of some crud or other from all that DIY ( :LOL: ) have never had the pleasure of the little buggers!

but, as has been mentioned before, what really p*sses us off is that we always mention it to the nursery when we have found them, but the warning is never passed on - you have to rely on other parents tipping you off!...PC b*llshit, just because some people couldn't bear to hear that their 'precious little one' is as susceptible to the same problems as any other kid!!

Brightness said:
'bug zapper' Argos sell them, they are electronic combs that zap the lice (a bit like the blue lamps in a butchers kill flies). You'll need to do it at least twice a day for two weeks to kill the infestation though.:

This sounds a bit ott to me. When our kids get them we comb their hair with a nit comb once a day using conditioner to help the comb go through. I've never known it take more than a few days to clear it up so 28 times with an argos electric gizmo sounds a bit like overkill (pun intended :D ).

I've never had them myself as far as I can remember but as soon as I post this I am going to have to scratch my head.

Sponsored Links
I dont get the little blighters because I comb my hair several times a day with a proper comb! the kids on the other hand only brush their hair and quite often get lice, presumably from classmates, cause at the end of a decent holiday period they are 'clean'.
So the answer must be to ban hair brushes and only use proper combs aha an answer at last!
Although I could quite like to electrocute them :evil:
(children & lice) :LOL:
They must be able to jump a long way, amazing when you see the speed they crawl around on the head!
Thanks Brightness, Your post had more explanations than most of the proper websites I've read on the subject. :)

Hermes the combs aren't ott!!! They are powered by an AA battery that's all. They give off a tiny 'electrical' discharge when they come into contact with a head louse but the child/adult feels nothing!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0541837.htm There, have a look! They can be invaluable in extreme infestations.

I remember a few years ago, one of my mates ringing me in tears. Her youngest daughter had beautiful long black hair and had come home from school on three days in succession riddled with lice (after her Mum plaiting and then tying up her hair). As you can imagine, my mate was really upset about this, especially when she went to treat the little one once again and seen that she'd used so much lice treatment on her that her head was red raw and scabbing in places.

Neem treatments weren't widely available then so I mixed her up some essential oils in a spray bottle to hopefully keep them from re-infesting but she needed to get rid of the ones she already had. I suggested one of those combs and she bought one. She said it was the best bit of kit she'd ever had as from that day on, she would go through the kids hair as soon as they got in from school and never had a major problem again :LOL: It's much quicker than wet combing too and also means that kids hair doesn't have to be washed as often - their hair really shouldn't be washed more than 2 -3 times a week anyway or lice are more likely to infest :evil:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that whenever you check your kids hair and they have an infestation then always check through your own too and warn any other adults they've been with to do the same - we used to see more infestations from grannies and grandads in the holidays going back and forth - same with threadworms :rolleyes:

Anything else you want to know about them, just holler!

Oh yeah and Dellsmp, headlice can't jump - they are as you've noticed very quick movers though! It's fleas that jump LOL

Don't know if you've ever noticed as well that they usually go to the nape of the neck and round the ears first - warmer for them to lay their eggs and more flesh to feed on :evil:

Thanks Brightness, looks like I'm off to Aaaaarghos tomorrow :)
eldest daughter has just said "you're not using THAT on me!" oh yes I am :evil:
Better get some more batteries, shame its not mains powered, I'm determined to sort this once and for all:cool:

Tell her it's just like a normal nit comb only gentler! Boots sell them too but Argos is cheaper - used to work for Boots and owe them no favours hahaha

If you can, try and get some Neem shampoo or conditioner to was the kids hair - you'll find that infestations get less and less as the lice detest the stuff - smells OK though. When I worked for Moss, we used to sell one for about £2.50 - think Lloyds might have it too if you have either near you.

You can use any kind of hair conditioner and then the proper comb, the
conditioner makes the hair slippery so the nit's can't grab hold.
I'm lucky now i'm on a number 0 with the shear's,well the part's that still have hair. ;)

Pitbull, my hubby has his hair that short as well & when our youngest got headlice a few years ago it was really funny. Hubby was on nights but wouldn't go to bed until I had thoroughly checked his head!

As I said to him, if he actually had any hair for them to run around and lay their eggs in it would have been OK but they can't exactly do that un-noticed on about .5mm of stubble hahaha.

I must admit Brightness,after reading this post I started scratching my
head,but unfortunately my missus work's night's and daughter was asleep.
So I had to wash my head with cold water to get the itch to go away(The
power of suggestion is a mighty thing) :)

In the future I WILL NOT REPLY TO POST'S ABOUT NIT'S.
Now if i say this to myself at least 5000 time's the power of suggestion
might work in my favour :D

Sponsored Links
Back