NO Belt Floor Sanders for hire in the North East!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I've just laid a reclaimed Mahogany Parquet floor in my house which now needs sanding. I've read from the experts such as "Wood You Like" that you really need a belt floor sander, not the Drum type as they leave lines etc. I've been on every single Tool Hire website that I can find in the North East & all of them only do Drum Floor Sanders! I've even tried contacting all of the flooring companies I could find in the NE to see if they hired out their equipment, or knew of anywhere that did but again no luck at all :(

So dose anyone out there know of anywhere in the north East that dose?

If not could I get away with a Drum sander then maybe use one of those small hand held belt floor sanders to get rid of the lines that people say they leave??? I need this floor finishing ASAP to be able to carry on with my house restoration so need a solution quick.

Any help most appreciated!!
Cheers.
Gary.
:)

Sponsored Links
As I live many miles from you sadly I do not know of any Belt Sanders for hire in your area.
The company I have used a number of times is.
http://www.hirecentres.com/category/floor-sanding-equipment-hire.html

Not sure how far they go up north, they could always send it by pallet but it would be expensive!

The reason most hire centre machines will leave lines is because they use a flat belt wrapped around a drum, in every rotation they miss a bit which leaves a chatter mark on the floor. The other issue is they are very basic and generally being used by inexperienced people. The better quality (more powerful) Lagler and Bona machines are much easier to use due to their drum lifting actions, rather than pivoting the machine back on it's back wheels and they use continuous belts without the gaps. I have in emergency used these basic hire machines and I get to screaming point with them.

TT

If the company Tall-tone suggests doesn't go that far up north, in my opinion you would be better off using a handheld belt sander for the whole job.

Using a drum sander first and then trying to remove the lines with a handheld sander will show up the minute you apply a finish. Both have their own "signature" on the surface and you could end up with a patchy result after all

Thanks very much for the replies.

I'll try asking PlantTool about delivery but like you say I reckon the delivery costs on top of the £154 hire is going to be way out of my tiny budget!

Looks like its going to have to be lots of hours with a sore back, knees & everything else using a hand held belt sander! :eek: I only have a cheap and nasty belt sander at home, I take it that it's worth buying or hiring a decent one? If so any suggestions or pointers on what I should be on the look out for in a decent hand held?

Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links
Yeh that's what I was thinking, was just wondering if there was anything I should be looking for in a decent hand held sander before I buy?

Cheers.
Gary.

try birtley hire, or tool time, both local, if not brandon hire will proberably have one

i can get the numbers if u want

good luck
tom

Think I tried Tool time, but not sure about the other 2. I'll try them tomorrow when I get a spare min, cheers for that!

Turns out I had already tried Brandon but forgot lol

I've just emailed Birtley but I'm not holding my breath as nowhere seems to do them :eek:

Think I'll also start looking for a decent hand held belt sander tomorrow and rake out the knee pads and Ralgex!

Well absolutely no luck what so ever on hiring a proper belt floor sander so I'm going for it with a hand held. I've got a little 4" Clarke CBS2 Contractor Belt Sander, so I'm expecting a few days of sweating & swearing! :LOL:

Give us some feedback. glock. I've got about 50m² to do when I return to France.

I think they're called panceuse a parquet, or something like that in France.
Maybe the mountain man might know.

Not hijacking or anything, genuinely interested in your experience with the hand-held sander.

Well sanding has begun with the little 4" Clarkie :eek: it took a full long day to do the initial 40 grit sanding then a few hours the next day for the 80 grit. Just waiting on the filler resin arriving then will do the final 120 grit sand. HARD WORK :LOL: but looking v good so far...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back