No drop on 6m of condensate pipe work. (cowboy job?) photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last July my next door neighbour had a combination boiler fitted in their airing cupboard. I have noticed that the plastic condensate pipe has a horizontal run of around 6m before it enters the guttering downpipe. The pipe work runs along the mortar line of the bricks and even has a sag in it. To get around the fact that the pipe could freeze up the 2 fitters have provided an overflow where the pipe leaves the house. To my amateur eye this all looks dodgy to me but is it?

I have enclosed a couple of photos.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Condensate pipe has been fitted incorrectly !! Also manufacturers usually state that max length of condensate pipe is 3m.

By the way to me that 'overflow' looks like a solvent "t" to my eyes.

A shame really as airing cupboards are usually near to bathrooms and with a little creative thought you can tap into existing waste system

Condensate pipe has been fitted incorrectly !! Also manufacturers usually state that max length of condensate pipe is 3m.

By the way to me that 'overflow' looks like a solvent "t" to my eyes.

A shame really as airing cupboards are usually near to bathrooms and with a little creative thought you can tap into existing waste system

Sorry don't know what a solvent "t" is I just assumed it was an overflow.

Their airing cupboard is actually next to their bathroom.

Shouldn't the pipe be insulated?

All external condensate pipe work should be a minimum of 32mm. Overflow sized pipe should not be used externally.

There should always be a drop on the condensate pipe work as well.

Nothing wrong with the 'T' they have put in, this will protect the boiler should it freeze (which it will), or the down pipe gets blocked.

Sponsored Links
Also, its difficult to see from the first shot and the second shot isn't quite high enough but is that Gas pipe enclosed in a sleeve as it goes into the property?

Cant understand why they have no fall on the condensate when its at the height it is and with it going into a rain water downpipe, and the gas pipe looks tidy enough even down to the point of labelling it.

It's not as if its not possible to get a fall on that pipe.

I have noticed that the plastic condensate pipe has a horizontal run of around 6m before it enters the guttering downpipe.

Is it a combined drainage system condensate cant be connected to a seperate rainwater system

There seems to be a considerable disagreement over whats permitted!

My understanding is that 22 mm IS permitted externally as long as its insulated and for a maximum of 3 m length. If longer then it has to be 32 mm or larger and does not need to be insulated.

Its only permissable to terminate in a rainwater pipe if its a combined soil and rain single drain which were usual before about 1950 ( But that house looks quite modern and if its a two drain system then it should go into the foul drain ).

Thats unless the installer fitted a pH neutraliser in which case it can terminate almost anywhere.

The "T" piece is an interesting addition but not mentioned in any regulations and many people would call it by a technical term know as a "bodge"! It will however allow the boiler to continue to function when the overlong and uninsulated condensate drain freezes up.

CORGI include condensate pipes within their remit although I dont see what that has to do with gas safety. Call them and they will class it as substandard and serve a defects notice on the installer!

But I dont know why you are so intrested in minor deficiencies in your neighbours boiler installation. However CORGI come out free and you can also call CORGI and they will tell you if the installation was notified to them! If not then it may be unsafe and you can complain to your local Building Control and the EHO if you want to put the cat amongst the pidgeons!

To me it is a very neat installation and has all the hallmarks of a unregistered Polish installer.

Tony

My understanding is that ALL external condensate pipes must be installed in min 32mm now

Could be wrong

It has been known

:)

No flue?

Is this for real?

Well looking at the height on that pipework I'd say that the boilers probably on the first floor and maybe the flue terminal's out of sight, personally I think I would have dropped the pipes down more and run them at a lower level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back