No earth wire in lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
I can't see any solid looking connection in the 1st 3 photos.

But the OP knows which tests etc need doing and how to do them so he'll be able to find out if it's all OK.

In the second picture you can see two screws at the top of the box which hold the adaptor in place. In the fourth picture you can see the adaptor where the plaster has been removed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone -

I only have 1 single socket in each of the bedrooms, and was hoping to make them both doubles and put another double in each too.
If I do decide to do this, am I better off just rewiring all the sockets in T&E.
I know it will cost a bit, but I'm trying to avoid the expected 'knock 2k+ off the asking price' when people see the flat.

Thanks again
Craig

With only 1 socket in each room, nothing short of a full rewire will avoid the property price being reduced due to electrical issues.
A full rewire and the necessary redecoration will cost far more than £2k.

Why not leave the wiring exactly as it is. Don't waste any of your money on it and agree to knock some money off the asking price if they question the wiring.

Even if you spend a few hundered quid making it look something like, most electricians will still advise a rewire, so you'll still end up with the buyers asking for money off, but you'll have also wasted time and money doing these totally pointless upgrades.

Why not leave the wiring exactly as it is. Don't waste any of your money on it and agree to knock some money off the asking price if they question the wiring.

Even if you spend a few hundered quid making it look something like, most electricians will still advise a rewire, so you'll still end up with the buyers asking for money off, but you'll have also wasted time and money doing these totally pointless upgrades.

The new owners may want sockets in different places, by time they change the kitchen that will need a load of electrical work too, just leave it alone, accept a hit on the asking price and save yourself all the trouble of trying to polish a turd.

Then makes two of you who are very wrong and guessing. :LOL:

Then I guess I was dreaming in that flat in Wanstead London E11 where I replaced the bathroom light fighting and the metal sheathed cable was coming out of the solid concrete ceiling. :confused:

( 1960's before Part P and the replacement fitting was water tight )

The pyro was buried in the plaster, not the concrete.

Wow, it must have taken you forever to go into every flat in the country with a concrete ceiling, chip away a bit of ceiling to expose the cable, inspect around it, re-plaster and re-paint.

Tell me, how thick would the plaster have to be to cover 3/4" conduit? As that is what is buried in my concrete ceiling. (I'll give you a clue, there's only a 3mm skim on it.)

Stop making yourself look like an ass. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back