No earth wire in lighting circuit?

Ban-all-sheds -

I appreciate your trying to help, but I'm not asking random questions, I'm asking about something I've not seen before thats all. I know which tests etc need doing, and how to do them, and I am ok with max load, conductor temperatures etc, so I should be ok. And if I'm struggling I will again seek proffesional help (either on here, or in person).

Cheers
Craig

Sponsored Links
Yes that is MICC.

Unless you are used to working with this cable, please do not attempt this job.

Providing it's IR readings are ok, and R1+R2 tests are ok, there is no need at all to replace the cable.

Does it look like pyro/MICC??
That is MICC.

Would it be ok to leave this as is as long as it conforms with r1+r2 / insulation resistance tests etc?
IF the test results are OK.
After 40/50 years they almost certainly won't be, and if they are not, the only solution is to rewire, which will involve hacking out all of the old and replacing with new.
If it's been set into the concrete ceiling (very likely), then the only solution will be to surface wire and reline the ceiling throughout the flat.

The point here is that this installation is a big can of worms, so opening it up is not something you want to be doing.

Sponsored Links
If it was put in right in the first place, 50 years is nothing for pyro, but this is why IR testing is so important, to prove that it was.

The sheath of the cable provides the earth, and the boxes should therefore be earthed. Metal light fittings etc should get their earth from this metalwork. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the lighting wiring, though test and inspection would highlight any problems.

If you were to change the fuse box you would have to terminate the MI glands properly, to a metal consumer unit. Not really a job for an amateur, and probably not worth the effort if you are selling up.

Then makes two of you who are very wrong and guessing. :LOL:

Then I guess I was dreaming in that flat in Wanstead London E11 where I replaced the bathroom light fighting and the metal sheathed cable was coming out of the solid concrete ceiling. :confused:

( 1960's before Part P and the replacement fitting was water tight )

It looks to me, although the photos aren't clear, as though some of the pyro isn't terminated to the boxes.

There are (used to be?) boxes where the gland for the sheath was outside but incorporated into the box, but it's not completely clear to me that they've been used. I wonder if some boxes have been replaced (possibly with ones with metric threads) and not properly terminated to the pyro.

It looks to me, although the photos aren't clear, as though some of the pyro isn't terminated to the boxes.

There are (used to be?) boxes where the gland for the sheath was outside but incorporated into the box, but it's not completely clear to me that they've been used. I wonder if some boxes have been replaced (possibly with ones with metric threads) and not properly terminated to the pyro.

There was a special adapter that fits to the box, and the pyro gland gets fixed to this. Usually used on shallow depth boxes in particular.

I can't see any solid looking connection in the 1st 3 photos.

But the OP knows which tests etc need doing and how to do them so he'll be able to find out if it's all OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back