No earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just changed a switch from a metal case one to another. There was no earth wire do i have to use a plastic switch. If it needs an earth does it have to go back to the consumer unit.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you must use a plastic switch. Adding an earth doesn't necessarily mean running back to the CU, one might be available at the ceiling rose for example. If none of the circuits in your house are earthed then I would very seriously be considering a rewire.

There are lots (maybe 10) of earth wires on the meter board on blocks next to the meter so there must be earthing somewhere and it looks like the sinks and pipes in the kitchen are bonded. ive only just moved in by the way. Are all the earth wires on the board normal and there appears to be about 9 cables coming from the bottom of the consumer unit. Does this all sound right??

I'm not sure I fully understood your explanation, any chance of a picture? If the earth conductors for each individual circuit exit the CU and join in an external earth block then it would seem an unusual arrangement, but maybe that's not what you meant?

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Would you have 9 MEBs though?
No, but some bonehead spark/DIYer might have bonded everything in the bathroom and kitchen back to the MET. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back