No existing door to kicthen. Can Building Control force me to install one if I notify unrelated work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've done a structural opening within 2 rooms in my flat, and I have notified building control to get the certificate as I am now selling it.
They are now requesting I install a door to the kitchen, although there never was one, and I have shown them state agents plans of when I bought the property to show there wasn't.

I do understand that there is a risk of fire spreading, as the route of escape is unprotected, but since it has always been like this, and the work I notified does not relate to this, can they really refuse to issue the certificate without this? It's just an extra cost (very high ceiling so it's not only installing a door, but creating the wall around and above, and all the decorating and painting)

Is there anything in the regs that I can use to request that since this was existing, and my work related to a different room and no change of layout, or material change, the kitchen is left as it is?

Layout attached for reference. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6764.JPG
    IMG_6764.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 349
Sponsored Links
No structural work in a flat is unrelated. Any work could potentially affect the fire safety of the whole flat and block.

Thanks woody, but a structural opening in the rooms marked on the sketch attached to the initial posts doesn't increase the risk of fire. It decreases it if anything (not marked on the sketch but the small room door from the hallway is actually now blocked since access is now through the new structural opening) so the change I am making is really not increasing the risk of fire spreading...

OK then, has the flat been altered to the original approved design? If so, and the door and frame have been removed, then they can be required to be put back. It does not matter if it was like that when you purchased.

Sponsored Links
It's a building from the mid 1800's in central london, with probably a few changes throughout time. No record of different layouts, and no signs of there being ever a door. All previous state agent plans show the same layout with no door to the kitchen, so there isn't really a previously approved design...

Given the above (and that of course I don't want to pay another £1k to build up a wall, install a door, decorate and paint, for something that I won't use and that most probably the next owner will remove) is there any wording in the regulations to help me discuss with them, and if I prove that the work I did doesn't make it worse and that there has never been records of a door in there, that I am not forced to now put one?

No. You are not required to upgrade a property to a current regulations.

Was the officer aware that there was never a door there? If not, make him aware.

The BC is playing it by the book, though in his defence he may well come under criticism should the unthinkable happen. I find it hard to believe there was never ever a door though.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll see the inspector next week, will post the outcome for reference...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back