No Guarantte Certification implication

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks, - We need help .

Our offer for a house was based on what we saw. The seller told us that the double windows/doors were installed last year with a 10 yrs guarantee. However, their solicitor now confirmed to ours that there is no guarantee but only Fensa certificate. Our concerns are:
1) it would cost us money when they come to prepare
2) how difficult to sell the house should we need to in less than 10 yrs times
3) we are thinking of asking for a reduction because of no guarantee certificate but have no idea what value of this

Your advice/suggestions/ideas are much appreciated - thanks

Lin & Rogers

Sponsored Links
2) look at yourself, you are considering buying it

3) think of a number and double it. They will either say yes or no (no matter what the figure is)

Window guarantees are not worth much anyway.

If they didn't fall out or leak in the first year or so they probably won't.

And the guarantee may have been issued by Wonderful Windows (2005) Ltd, the successor to a previous company that went bust in the previous year, and he may have gone bust two or three times more since then.

i agree with JohnD, fensa certs are a joke. they are issued by the company whom at the time may be using piece work subbies. they are paid per item, throw the windows in and are rarely inspected by the company.

we prefer to fit our own windows, bc have a quick look and are ok'd. i would defy any fensa fitter to put as much effort into window fitting as we do.

the windows are supplied by a fensa registered company.

Sponsored Links
i was in the same situation as you when i bought my house a few months back. I called the company that fitted the windows they said yes its on their records and they would honour the guarentee (no paperwork needed). so give them a ring! (i think their name is on the fensa certificate).

but sadly yes all the above does apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back