No hot water or heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to solve this conundrum.

I have a hot water cylinder with a boiler. I recently drained the system and washed out the radiators.

I have no hot water and no heating. The boiler fires up, the 2x two port valves turn the valve to their open position. The water in the pipes surrounding the cylinder is getting hot but not the radiators or taps.

The pipes around the water cylinder get hot except for the bottom one and the top one. I've posted a picture with the water flow / temp if each pipe.

Any ideas?

Screenshot_2019-09-11-22-40-34-786.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-09-11-22-43-39-090.jpeg

Red= hot pipe
Blue=cold pipe
Yellow= Luke warm

Sponsored Links
Yes, there are three settings on the pump | || |||, it is currently on |||

Have you bled all air out of the system , rads/ cylinder coil / pump. Your pics are not great ( not very sharp). I assume your system is fed from an f&e tank ?

Sponsored Links
I've bled the rads and top of the cylinder not the pump. The pipe to and from the pump is v. hot.

Yes there is a small tank in the loft on top of the larger tank.

When the boiler ignites ,I assume it does not run very long before it extinguishes .The heat it is generating has to go somewhere ,if the rads and cylinder are not heating then it's a circulation problem. Pump not working ,blocked ,or full of air.
You must have had a reason to remove rads for flushing ,what was it ?
What condition was the f&e tank in before draining ,full of crud ?

That's, right the boiler lights up and then turns off. Why would it turn off unless it senses that the water is hot?

The rads were getting warm at the top, bottom cold. So thought I'd flush out the crud - they are over 20years old.

What part does the f&e tank play?

If it is circulation, any ideas how to clear it?

Listening to the rads, I can hear the water circulation.

Boilers heat is not being dispersed ,so its control gear shuts it down.
F&E tank full of crud can be drawn into the pipework when drained down . should be cleaned out first.
If hot water is circulating thru rads they would heat up.
Does your pump have a circular disc ,with a slot for a large screwdriver in it, located on the front of the pump ( the side facing the hot water cylinder) if so you bleed the pump of air there ,by unscrewing it ( not fully ).
Is the level of water in the F&E tank OK ?

As a side issue ,the cable going into your immersion heater needs attention. The outer sheath of the cable should be inside the housing under a clamp, it isn't ,and the individual conductors are visible.

Got it, let me check this in the morning. The f&e tank is full.

1. Bleed pump
2. Clean f&e tank
3. Sort out wiring on cylinder

Thanks for your help at this late time. I really appreciate it.

Ok, update.

1. Bleed pump - done, water no air
2. Clean f&e tank - used sentinal cleaner
3. Sort out wiring on cylinder - rewired, after creating a short.

So I have hot water, yay!

However still no radiator.

If I turn everything off and on again, boiler fires up, makes a rumble noise and then switches off.

Ideas? Feels like we are getting close!

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/no-hot-water-or-heating.529317/#ixzz5zXOM6Z3C

Turn all rads off accept one let that heat up and then turn to next rad so you are only doing one at a time put pump on 3

Thanks, Lightning - I'll try that.

Terry, yes, the hot water cylinder is hot and there is hot water coming out from top pipe and the two side pipes.

This 15mm pipe (blue line in pic) is cold so I'm guessing this is the rads pipe? all other pipes from boiler to cylinder are hot.

InkedIMG_20190914_223416_LI.jpg

ok, update II

turned off all RADs except bathroom which is where the water cylinder sits.

turned on heating, no change.

opened/closed RAD, no change.

the pipe with the TRV is hot, but the rest of the radiator is cold / luke warm.

started to bleed the RAD, now heats up top half but bottom half luke warm. When I stopped bleeding the RAD, goes cold here

Went to do the same in the RAD in the separate toilet but only TRV pipe is hot, the rest cold.

any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back