No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ppl.. we have a central heating and hot water system that is completely nuts....
consists of cold water tank,,hot water tank,,gas boiler....

it uses a Drayton Lifestyle LP241 programer,, we just cant get how this stuff works....

The main problem is we dont get any hot water at all unless this is on,,i.e i can run the hot water tap all day long without a drop off heat unless its on at the timer.....

Same with the GAS central heating its not on unless its either timed or on at the programmer......

The boiler is one for central heating ONLY as i looked it up on the net,,, but when you put the hot water setting on, on at the programmer,,THE BOILER fires up,,i have had an email from the manufacturers of the boiler and they say the boiler does not heat water!!!!

So now yer askin why have a got a hot water tank??? i dont know!!! if by unknown methods the central heatng boiler heats water?? What does the hot water tank do?????
The main concern out of this is,, the electricity cost!!! were getting billed horredous amounts,,with only basic appliances that are good working order... so this is the only thing that must be eating the leccy...

Sponsored Links
heat only boiler meaning it only heats water where ever it may go. the boiler don't know where its going

as a combi heats heating and hot water it knows where its going.

does your hot water cylinder have a immersion heater in the top of the cylinder, which will have a cable from it to a switch on the wall ?

Normally the boiler is controlled by the programmer and thermostats,
Hot water on at prog. either timed, overide, advance, or on - sometimes with an indicator light or some other display - will send power to cyl stat through a motorised valve and tell boiler to light, heatingdoes same only uses a room stat.

hope that helps

heat only boiler meaning it only heats water where ever it may go. the boiler don't know where its going

as a combi heats heating and hot water it knows where its going.

does your hot water cylinder have a immersion heater in the top of the cylinder, which will have a cable from it to a switch on the wall ?

Just checked the hot water tank it has a Sunvig thermostat conected to the bottom of the tank with a wire connected to a socket (but no switch)...

Should i not have hot water without putting on at the programmer,, its not a combi so i know its not an (On demand system)..in theory if the gas boiler heats water,,what does the hot water tank do???

Sponsored Links
if the boiler heats the water in the cyl it is stored till you have a bath etc.
if you have a bath, wash up etc and use all the hot water you'll have to make sure the programmer is on to re-heat the cylinder water.
or next time you want a bath it will be cold.

that thermostat is to detect the temp of the water in the cylinder.

an immersion will be on top of the cyl.

So if i get this right, youre saying the gas boiler heats the water and sends it upstairs to the hot water tank until use??

Ok,, so now the other thing is,,,,when the hot water tank runs out of hot water,,, the COLD water tank fills it up,,(i Know this as they beside each other in the cupboard and you can hear it)... I do get it what your saying...

But in this scenario if the gas boiler heats the water and sends it upstairs to be stored until use,,, why does the cold water tank (upstairs) refill the hot wat cyclinder???? ye see where the confusion is lol

thats a better pic.

ok-wink.gif

Should this system give out any hot water If the central heating is on??
We have the heating on just now through the programmer or does the hot water setting have to be aswell...

if you need to have heating you put heating on.
if you need hw turn the hw on.

useally the hw is only needed on an hour morning and hour at night.

Should this system give out any hot water If the central heating is on??
FFS Sash4 - you're making this all far too difficult.

The boiler heats water in a closed system that you will never see or touch. This indirectly heats the water in the hot water tank, where it is stored until you use it by opening a hot tap.

We have the heating on just now through the programmer or does the hot water setting have to be aswell...
The boiler doesn't have to be on at the moment that you want hot water - it will stay hot in the tank for many hours, or days, depending on how well lagged your tank is.

The Sunvic device at the base of your hot tank is likely to be an immersion heater. This provides a way of electrically heating the water without using the boiler. If you've programmed your gas-fired system to heat the water, then your immersion heater should be switched off.

Just checked the hot water tank it has a Sunvig thermostat conected to the bottom of the tank with a wire connected to a socket (but no switch)...
This bit is a quote from an earlier post just incase ye miss it Softus lmao lol.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Softus, how are ye supposed to know if its on or off, when its connected to a socket box with no switch????

There is no immersion heater in the house,as in in normal big red switch saying immersion!!!.......

The system as it stands gives us approx 3 inches of hot water in the bath and thats it. (stone cold after that)...That is with the hot water sswitched on at the programmer.. if its not on at the programmer we get nothing,As you can imagine bathing etc takes a very long time,,,, there is six of house in the house (council)....According to council policy that is suffieciant for a family of six,,,i.e if there is hot water regardless of how much...That is sufficient?????

Just checked the hot water tank it has a Sunvig thermostat conected to the bottom of the tank with a wire connected to a socket (but no switch).
Please post a picture of this "thermostat" and also one of the "socket".

This bit is a quote from an earlier post just incase ye miss it Softus lmao lol.........................................................................................................................................................................................................
lmao?

lol?

Really?

Well, perhaps I'll let that one go, since you're already struggling to understand both the technology and the language of the 21st century.

Softus, how are ye supposed to know if its on or off, when its connected to a socket box with no switch????
Well I can think of lots of ways, but I can see that ye can't think of even one.

Let me ask you this - if you don't know whether or not your immersion heater is on, then why have you stated (on another topic) that it's off?

There is no immersion heater in the house,as in in normal big red switch saying immersion!!!.......
Well, you don't have a big red switch labeled "brain", but presumably yours is installed and switched on?

The system as it stands gives us approx 3 inches of hot water in the bath and thats it. (stone cold after that)...That is with the hot water sswitched on at the programmer.. if its not on at the programmer we get nothing
Please state the make and model of boiler, and please also post a photograph of the hot water tank and the entire plumbing and heating pipework and equipment around it.

As you can imagine bathing etc takes a very long time,,,, there is six of house in the house (council)....According to council policy that is suffieciant for a family of six,,,i.e if there is hot water regardless of how much...That is sufficient?????
Your cynicism about your local council has nothing whatsoever to do with diagnosing your hot water problem, so I suggest you leave it out.

Softus, you are clearly a dick that no-one has any time for so i'll reply to your sarcasim and in future completley ignore your remarks!!!!

If i have to show pictures of the things you requested you dont have a clue what your talking about, but try and give the impression you do!!!

Other members have been extremely helpful and were 100% spot on with my description i.e describing the sunvig device was clearly identified by another member(without a cute little picture),,,,

I described the type of system and again 100% it was accuratley identified...

If this system gives me hot water when the programmer is on and nothing at all when its off...

Is an immersion not just a boost control to give extra when needed, Clearly and precisely tell me where the immersion is located....

You clearly cant grasp the concept of plain english statements,

i'll put it simply just for you

I have no immersion heater that is clearly visible (switch or anything you may wish to call it)
nothing beside the programmer,,nothing beside the hot water tank, nothing anywhere else......
So lets put you intellect to the test,,,Where is it and you tell me if its on or off, when i have told you about the volume of water received....

i wont post Pictures for your benefit as other members havent needed them...
aaand i dont not wish to be advised by you......

Yes i have made remarks (to the mods)....

But these types of forums are for people of no or little knowledge, or even for proffesional tradesmen double checking equipment, and asking for advice from people who know various things in these fields

No-one asks for sarcastic ,,up themselves, Remarks from people who think they know best, and have the old fashioned mentality of no patience in trying learn others,

And use sarcasm and ridicule to hide their inabilities,,

Softus, i have been a bricklayer for 20 years and build houses from start to finish,,,CAN YOU DO THAT!!!!

Same bloody principle mate!!!

I have to topics on this forum..... Where in any of them have i "STATED" that immersion heater was off????? when i have said many times i dont where if in fact there is one!!!!!
PLease copy and paste The quote that says it CLEARLY as you say...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back