No pressure

Would it be worth a try to cable tie a latex glove to the white pipe outside

If its definitely the condensate pipe ,yes. But as the pressure has not dropped further its pointless at this point . Could repeat the trial all over again and do it at the start.( if you can live without the boiler in this cold snap)

Sponsored Links
Hi Terry I forgot to look if the pressure dropped when the isolated where switched back on
I will repeat that check again over the weekend but with a latex glove on the end of the white hose
Thanks again for all your time helping me with this problem
I would just like to prove to the ideal plumber that we think we have solved the problem
We have asked a plumber to check it out a week ago now but still waiting

Hi Graham ,that's a pity ,obviously if it dropped further that would Indicate a loss of water in the central heating side.
Water escaping on the c/ heating side ,and pressure dropping every day as you indicated ,would usually result in you seeing wet or damp somewhere in the property . pipes buried in concrete or under flooring in voids being an exception . And only on site investigation would resolve that. Do let us know how you get on ,regards Terry.

Down stairs both the radiator pipes are underground
We will certainly let you know what the outcome is after all your help
Graham

Sponsored Links
I have put a latex glove on that white pipe
Had the heating on for 1 hour and it’s half filled the glove

Which is normal and to be expected when the boiler is operating.
When its not been operated for hours and isolated ,nothing should come out the pipe.

that is what it is supposed to do, empty the glove cut the electric supply to the boiler then leave it and see if you get any water

Hi Terry

I have increased the pressure to 1.5 bars. Turned off isolators in the first and fifth pipe as instructed and switched off the electric over a 24 hour period. Switched both isolators back on and there was no drop on the gauge. Overnight it had lost 0.1 of a bar. Please see in the photo below how much water was collected from the white outside pipe.....

Kind regards

Graham

7D9963BF-1C81-4AFF-B3A6-1E76DCCE99FF.jpeg

How long AFTER the central heating/ boiler were off and COOLED down ,did you attatch the bag ,AND isolate the boiler ?
The white pipe must join the grey pipe from the boiler somewhere is that visible ,and are any other pipes joining the run ?
If you now run the boiler / central heating and observe the discharge from the condensate pipe outside ,does it dribble out constantly ,or do you get a large slug of water intermittently ?
The info so far is not conclusive and inconsistent with a few anomalies thrown in like the kitchen rad scenario .
Nevertheless it is my opinion that you have a pin hole leak in the boiler heat exchanger ,and not on the external pipework/ rads.

The boiler had been off for 2 hours I then isolated the boiler then attached the bag
The white pipe is connected to the grey pipe it is behind the cupboard which have false backs
I will have to check what is coming out of the white pipe
If it’s a pin hole in the exchanger where would the water be going would we not see a leak
I just don’t understand why the other day it had lost all the pressure over night
So at the moment we have the heating on and switched the radiator off in the kitchen see what happens to the pressure
Would the heating engineer see the leak by just taking off the front or do they need to strip out further
Graham

If the heat ex has a pin hole leak ,the central heating water will escape from the sealed /pressurised system ,internally within the boiler the escaping water will drain out through the condensate pipework.
With a condensing boiler ,the condensate ( slightly acidic condensed water) is a by product that is created when the boiler is in operation burning gas,and it drains out of the boiler via your grey pipe . so when the boiler has been cooled / isolated the boiler does not create any . Hence the water collected in the bag during your trial is either...
1. Central heating water escaping via the heat ex.
2. Water from another source completely that is entering the same waste pipework ,and clouding the issue.
3.rain water has got in your bag or someone put it there !!
It isn't always obviously apparent if the heat ex has a pinhole by a cursory visible check inside the boiler.
As high temperatures exist within the boiler ,and subsequent expansion and contraction ,the amount of water lost can vary and therefore the pressure differences.
Your kitchen rad thing is a red herring.
If you had a leak on the external pipework ,when you opened the boilers isolators ( at the end of your test ) the pressure gauge would have shown a pressure drop .

You should document the trials you have done and the results ,and pass them on to the attending engineer. There really is no substitute for an on site investigation /diagnosis , and the info you can provide to them will aid that.

Hi Terry
I can’t thank you enough for all your help and time you have spent replaying to all my questions
I will keep you informed when the problem is resolved so that amount in the bag should not have been that much
Would it be a good idea to lag the white pipe
Thanks again Terry

Lagging certainly won't do any harm Graham. Hope you get sorted soon ,let's know. Regards Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back