No Water after 4 plumber visits please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am at my wit’s end with this problem which seems to have stumped all the plumbers in my local area and would appreciate any advice.

I bought a new place in November which had been installed with a new Gledhill ES 150 l stainless steel unvented cylinder in March of this year. On moving in the immersion heaters were tripping the fuse, the electrics were a mess and not up to code so paid 3 grand for an electrician to rewire the whole flat. I then got the immersion heaters replaced.
when they were replaced with both immersions on the cylinder the water was only luke warm. No matter what I tried (literally had both immersions on for 10 hours cost me a fortune) the water was still only running luke warm. So, under warranty, Gledhill sent someone to change them again however still having the same problem.
I have rechecked the electrics they are fine, we checked the immersions and they were delivering the expected voltage yet still only luke warm water leaving the cylinder. upon touching the hot water out pipe from the cylinder you can tell that it isn’t getting hot enough.
Do you think it could be a problem with the cylinder? Or how it was installed? I have attached some photos of the set up for your perusal.
It has now been 2 months without hot water and money/time down the drain with no results. Anyone who can help me solve this problem I will send a basket of muffins (or anything present like…haha)
Thanks all
Archie

Attachments

• EEAE675F-C01E-4E4A-A972-BCFFAD5DCC2D.jpeg
    EEAE675F-C01E-4E4A-A972-BCFFAD5DCC2D.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 298B7574-C0F7-4BDA-818A-B7CE2D14A031.jpeg
    298B7574-C0F7-4BDA-818A-B7CE2D14A031.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 184
  • B47D36DA-3004-4A05-B86A-7B4CE77E2A77.jpeg
    B47D36DA-3004-4A05-B86A-7B4CE77E2A77.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 9D973F0F-5933-463C-91F6-59148A079AFC.jpeg
    9D973F0F-5933-463C-91F6-59148A079AFC.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 321F6CD5-25FE-41EE-AA7A-8ED945DC03A0.jpeg
    321F6CD5-25FE-41EE-AA7A-8ED945DC03A0.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
The immersion heaters probably have internal thermostats. Have you checked these have been set to a sensible temperature ?

Hi Bernard,
Thanks for your response.
Yes these have been checked and they are both at maximum.
Best,
Archie

(literally had both immersions on for 10 hours cost me a fortune) the water was still only running luke warm.

If this is true, then the hot water is running away.

If you put a lot of electrical energy into the heaters, they will produce exactly the same amount of heat energy.

if the thermostats were set low, or were faulty and delivering less heat, they would use less electricity.

If the water is not getting hot, the energy is going somewhere.

A leak, or a running tape, or a relief valve, or the pump drawing heat from the coil and distributing it to radiators.

How many kWh did you put in, that "cost a fortune?"

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Some observations:

1) two heaters but one timer? Wiring looks odd. is the timer switch on both feeds, or just one (Bottom?). Is perhaps the heaters only firing the top heater, not the bottom, or have they been wired incorrectly so that you are getting a voltage split? (Series)

2) Unless something is misunderstood, you shouldn't be burning energy. They either work or not. Check the meter and see how much energy you are actually using.

Thanks for both your replies guys appreciated.

John - A fortune was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but it was 2 3k/w immersion heaters on for 10 hours.
I was thinking it must be a leak but have inspected all the valves etc and nothing has shown itself. Similarly it must be within the vicinity of the cylinder and just by touching the main hot water out pipe you can feel that it isn't hot enough.
It is just supplying hot water as radiators are electric.

Andy - Gledhill have ruled out that it could be a problem with the cylinder. I have asked them to replace it but now they are dodging my phonecalls.

Some observations:

1) two heaters but one timer? Wiring looks odd. is the timer switch on both feeds, or just one (Bottom?). Is perhaps the heaters only firing the top heater, not the bottom, or have they been wired incorrectly so that you are getting a voltage split? (Series)

2) Unless something is misunderstood, you shouldn't be burning energy. They either work or not. Check the meter and see how much energy you are actually using.

Thanks for getting back to me. The timer is just for the bottom immersion heater. Just one should heat up the whole tank in 3/4 hours. The top one just have as a boost (or so it would seem). The problem is i don't think it can be the electrics as had someone come check the current running through the immersions and they said they were both working perfectly.

The energy i am using is to be expected, on my smart meter after 1 hour with immersion heater on it goes to 54p which as a 3 k/w heater is to be expected. So they seem to be working the water coming out just isnt hot!

When Gledhill replaced the immersions and then they didn't heat up, what did they say?

Andy

THanks for getting back to me Andy. Gledhill have ruled out that it could be a problem with the cylinder. I have asked them to replace it but now they are dodging my phonecalls.

Archie

If this is true, then the hot water is running away.

If you put a lot of electrical energy into the heaters, they will produce exactly the same amount of heat energy.

If the water is not getting hot, the energy is going somewhere.

A leak, or a running tape, or a relief valve, or the pump drawng heat from the coil anddistributing it to radiators.

How many kWh did you put in, that "cost a fortune?"

Thanks for getting back to me John. A fortune was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but it was 2 3k/w immersion heaters on for 10 hours.
I was thinking it must be a leak but have inspected all the valves etc and nothing has shown itself. Similarly it must be within the vicinity of the cylinder and just by touching the main hot water out pipe you can feel that it isn't hot enough.
It is just supplying hot water as radiators are electric.

Best, .
Archie

but did you check the meter? and did you use an extra 60kWh of electricity?

being switched on does not mean they were working.

Hi John, yes i did and went up by 60 kWh. Have one of those smart meters in my living room, so can see the price climbing as well the kWh on the main meter
Archie

then the hot water is going somewhere.

feel the pipes when you have not run a hot tap for half an hour. they should be cold.

edit

if you can't see and hear a leak, it might be a pipe under the floor, or running to your fishpond. As well as water, there will be heat and (in cold weather) steam.

Can you post a picture with the white covers removed.

Make sure you turn the power off beforehand.

Andy

Here you are Andy
Best.
Archie

Attachments

• IMG_4888.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4887.jpg
    IMG_4887.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4886.jpg
    IMG_4886.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 139

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back