Noise insulation pitched roof / vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We have opened the ceiling in our living room which had previously the ceiling in 2.4m height, with a normal plasterboard and 10cm mineral/glass fibre mix.
The outside noise was less, but still noticeable.

We now want to use the full space of the pitched roof to create a vaulted ceiling.

At the moment the rafters have been strengthened and extended to 20cm depth, from which we have left a 5cm void below the felt under the concrete tiles for air ration and added 15 cm celotex insulation.

I understand that celotex is great for the heat insulation and that we overreach building specs with the 15 cm, but that it does not do much against outside noise.

As we live on a very busy road we wonder what would be the best way to insulate now the roof sound wise the best / economical way?

Our builder wants to put additional 2cm wooden batons now under the rafters to account for uneven areas, not filled with anything and attach the sound plasterboard to them? Will this work, or just create an sound problem?

Currently I am looking into two different thickness sized acoustic boards, depending on what is available on the market currently.

I read about mass loaded vinyl which is quite expensive, and which seems to be often recommended to add in-between the 2 soundboard plasterboards.
And in addition I read about resilient bars, where I wonder if they are ok with the weight of two heavy soundboards, and in addition if they are actually helpful against street noise, as this is rather an airborne noise instead of ground-born, , or am I wrong? Or are they rather for ceilings where a room is used above, and so not what I need?

What would you recommend to keep out the road noise please?

Kind regards
Manfred

Sponsored Links
Is the 150mm foam In between The rafters? Normally for a vaulted ceiling, you then apply another layer of foam on top (Underside) of the infill layer, Say 50mm.
This will cut down on some noise, you could also do a double layer of plasterboard too.

have you got any pics you might get more advice
(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back