Noise on the pipe when heating goes on and off. Help

it is on an S Plan so an ABV is required
Not quite.

If your boiler requires one, you must fit an automatic one.

An important distinction. Automatic because the authorities don't want the cut-paste heating installers continuing with manual bypass valves which, over a bazillion units, adds up to the UK's energy footprint.

Which is daft but understandable given the numpties who read the thing (if at all).

However, where a bypass valve isn't needed because boiler (as in this case looking at the info), adding a automatic bypass goes in the opposite direction of the intended regs. Literally.

So. My reading is that this boiler should not have one as it does the overrun itself.

The plumber put one in, following his cut-paste template but set it to max, effectively locking it out.

It gets interesting because the boiler has a ErP variable speed pump which does NOT want a external bypass added at all.

So. I think that all this ****e is co-interacting to give the OP his problems.

Quite happy to be told I'm wrong mind.

Sponsored Links
My hot water is on 24/7 and every night after I had had my shower and got into bed, about 15 minutes later there was a single bang/thump on the system like someone had bashed a pipe with a hammer. Took me weeks to find out what it was and it turned out to be the ABV opening - I confirmed it by holding on to the thing and waited for the bang - I could clearly feel it too. That was on my old boiler when I had no inhibitor in the system. I don't know if inhibitor has lubricating properties but when I added it to the system, the noise disappeared so I assume it was just slightly sticky?

They do fail. I've changed mine before now for something similar.

Sponsored Links
OP, check the pressure reducing valve is not making that noise. Reason why I ask is, about 3 months ago a client had a similar issue, replaced that valve and all is well ( so far)

Because the OP has an S plan

I read that but so what?
Either the boiler needs a external bypass or not, regardless of the heating configuration.
It's only when it does need that external bypass that you can look to see if the configuration helps or not.

Have a read up on variable speed pumps and the chaos they cause in systems fitted (incorrectly) with ABVs.

Where is this noise coming from exactly?
Which bit of the system?

Either the boiler needs a external bypass or not, regardless of the heating configuration.
you are completely wrong and you are confusing the OP , dont argue about things you have Googled, there is already a google king on here

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
you are completely wrong and you are confusing the OP , dont argue about things you have Googled, there is already a google king on here

In Italy they may have different system? Just guessing why this is getting confused

Played around it tonight getting heating on off. I noticed noise comes from the zone valve actuator which also moves and shakes when opening and closing and seems like it forces the other actuator to close even more too.

Google?

Don't be arrogant with your knowledge.
You've no idea what i do or don't know or how i learn.

Why is what i have said wrong?

This isn't a challenge, its a genuine question. Explain, else your comment is worthless.

I've no probs being wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back