1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Noisy Glow worm 40ff

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Joe82, 6 Jan 2013.

1. Joe82

Joe82

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the noises coming from my system please,

The boiler is stated above and it is a y plan open vented system, i seem to have a whistling/squeaking noise coming from my system it doesn't happen when the boiler first fires up it seems to be when it is heating hot water and heating but it only seems to start getting noisy about 5 minutes before the thermostat cuts it out almost like when it is probably working at it's hardest.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Joe82

Joe82

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any idea's please? or is more info needed?

Thanks.

4. Armo74

Armo74

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe a build up of sludge or scale in the heat exchanger. When did you last drain your system and top up with inhibitor? Do you have any problems with any of your rads?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Joe82

Joe82

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply, Not sure when the system was last drained i have lived here for 6 years and i have never done it so maybe that has not helped things. All radiators seem fine.

6. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can do no harm putting a bottle of Sentinel X400 in the system. Let it circulate for a few weeks, drain the system and refill, adding fresh inhibitor when done. The X400 may help loosen up any deposits in the system and quieten it down.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. Whitespirit66

Whitespirit66

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Joe82

Joe82

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks alot i will do just that. I take it i put it in the small tank in the loft?

10. mickyg

mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    drain some water out first otherwise you'll just clean the header tank :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Whitespirit66

Whitespirit66

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, but don't just tip it in. Isolate cold supply to tank's float valve. Bail out all of the water in there that will poss also contain crud and bits of loft insulation that you don't want drawn down into the system. Clean inside of tank. Then I usually drain a gallon or two out of the drain cock at lowest point of system, so that when I tip the additives into the empty tank, it goes down into system. Turn water back on and allow tank to fill - then run system. Sometimes I drain whole system, add additive, then refill.

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local