Worcester Bosch 24i - Should it be this noisy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a WB 24i combi fittedon the kitchen wall replacing an old glow worm swift flow. When it's on there's a droning/whining sound from it whihc seems to get amplified & resonates all around the house!

I guess it's a pump or a fan making the noise but should they be noisy? The old glow worm was much quieter. The noise is only audible when the heating program is on so thankfully overnight when it's off there's no noise.

It's actually driving me mad! Is there anything I can do? I've only just had it fitted, Could i tell the company I'm not satisifed and ask for it to be changed for a quieter boiler?

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If no joy with the installer get onto worcester, I have always found them pretty good to date, let us all know how you get on.
Hope the installer has fitted to Benchmark or they may crib about warranty claims if down to installation.

Thanks for the advice. The installer is going to have a look but have suggested that they may end up calling out worcester. I phoned worcester's tech help to ask how noisy these things should be and they suggested that the 24i junior is known to be on the noisy side, that maybe they could turn something down but it won't make much difference.

I'll stick by my guns on this though. I thought I was paying for state of the art, not the art of noise! I wonder what my legal position on this is..

Sponsored Links
Well the installer came out after weeks of ignoring me and turned down the pump from 3 to 2 which has eased the noise level down to an acceptable level. However, it now seems to take a lot longer for the house to heat up even though the radiators are red hot.

Is this due to turning the pump down? And is there any other solution to the noise when the boiler is at normal pump speed? Thanks

The pump shouldn't be turned down on a combi, it's supposed to be on 3, get your installer to get off his arrse and MAKE Worcester come out and sort the thing out, they brag enough about how good they are, make them sort it or replace the boiler, turn the pump down tsk tsk tsk.

Thanks - I did phone worcester myself a couple of times while the installer was ignoring me.. They said the 24i juniors are known to be a bit noisy, they've had a few complaints. They did actually suggest that all they could do would to turn something down inside the boiler as they have tried replacing pumps before and it hadn't helped.

I'm fuming with the installer as it is. It cost me £1200 to have the 24i installed and the old gloworm combi removed, and people have said I've been ripped off as the boilers are only about £500 - £600 and they were only there 3 to 4 hours.

booogle said:
I'm fuming with the installer as it is. It cost me £1200 to have the 24i installed and the old gloworm combi removed, and people have said I've been ripped off as the boilers are only about £500 - £600 and they were only there 3 to 4 hours.

These pillocks who tell you how you've been stung only ever surface after the jobs been done don't they?, I really hate these idiots who crawl the net just to look to see if they can get a better trade price just to rub your nose in it....would it be better if they took 2 days to do the same job?. Take the VAT off that and it cost 1000, boiler cost say 600, that leaves 400 out of which came parts, time to get parts, van, fuel, insurance, quote time, sales time, support time etc, etc....I would be seriously worried about any installer who came in at a lower price than that

Ah ha things get clearer, £1200.00 was a cheap job, maybe thats why the installer isn't intersted in coming back, it's still up to Worcester who now admit that that their boiler is noisy to sort it out, of course the installer isn't intesterested if it's not down to his workmanship.

DId they fill in and leave the Benchmark document? Did they state on thet that they'd cleaned the system? If so they lied, it takes hours.

The dirt from the old system will in time cause trouble in the new boiler. And no boiler maintenance insurance ( including BG) will cover dirt in the system - it shouldn't be there.

Ollski, what are you talking about?! £400 for 4 hours work?! Even if you take into consideration the cost of all those things you listed its a lot to pay. I get around £120 a day for my desk job and out of that I have to pay for my £2.5k a year train ticket, find the time to buy a suit, pay for my car insurance which only gets used at weekends and then pay tax from it too. Then someone comes along and out of what I have left they want to take £400 for 4 hours work - don't figure

Jesus it's not 4 hours work, it's 4 hours at the customers property doing the installation!!!....do you not think the job was quoted?, was it planned for materials?, were the materials ordered / collected?, price has to build in return calls, I would guess that was the only job of the day as it may have taken longer so no other work can be booked in, many jobs are 2 man lifts. I'm guessing the installer has to pay tax, likes a week away every year, sometimes goes sick, etc, etc.
The fact that your job only pays 120 is neither here nor there, it is obvious that a day of your labour is only worth 120, a day of a heating engineers labour is worth 400, a solicitors day worth 800. That is your place in the market....what is the problem??

No problem - just enjoying your response! Glad you know your place (in the market)

If your installer has fitted 10mm or worse 8mm pipes to the rads this will give a velocity noise around the system as the 24i junior is a small water content boiler,if so biger circs and a by pass can help the situation.

mg_graham said:
No problem - just enjoying your response! Glad you know your place (in the market)

what, you think I work for myself?......I like living on the edge, but not that much ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back