Noisy hinge on double glazed aluminium door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the 3 hinges on my side door is making a loud noise as the door opens and shuts. Hard to describe the sound, but looking at the hinge I think it might be the 2 washers in the middle rubbing against each other. It's not a squeak, but a much lower pitch almost grinding sound. I squirted some silicone sealant between the washers which alleviated it a bit. I thought the hinge might be binding, so I tried undoing the screws which attach it to the frame to see if that freed it up but it made no difference. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on these either, no screws or allen bolts, the hinge pin is just plain flat top and bottom. Any ideas what might be wrong and if there is a way to adjust please?
DSC02920_edited-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Good old fashioned 3 in 1 oil trickled in is the best bet. Those bottom screws are on slots to adjust door up and down. Trouble with silicone and wd40 is they only provide a thin coating that is soon worn away oil tends to stay around more.
Or you could see if the hinge comes apart and grease the pin with Vaseline or similar grease.

Right, thanks. I thought ordinary oil might damage those washers but I'll give it a go now.

I would imagine they are nylon which is pretty hard wearing I can't see cheap plastic taking the weight of the door for long. Rubber would be affected by oil but I don't think they would use rubber for that.
Strangely in the past I have had plastic hinges crack after using WD40 but I suspect they were weakened by the sticking before hand.

Sponsored Links
The 3 in 1 has been applied, no change so far but it has to get down to the bottom half of the hinge (the pin in the top half does not rotate within the hinge). If it doesn't flow down then I guess I will have to take the hinge off, take it apart and apply oil to the bottom half. Is that safe to do, assuming the other 2 hinges will support the weight of the door temporarily?
Thanks for all help.

With three hinges that is what I would try, to be safe get someone to steady the door in case the wind catches it and maybe put a bit of support under the door for good measure.

Well it took me a while but I finally got around to taking the hinge off (oiling it had no effect). The 'pin' in the hinge is clearly bent so I imagine it is binding when the door moves, causing the noise and vibration. I assume it's not really viable to straighten it, is it possible? If not then given that the vendor is out of business does anyone know where a replacement can be found? I have googled myself to death but can't see any that match this one. Many thanks.

photo of the hinge, dismantled, please, and the pin.

I unscrewed the part that is fixed to the door and pulled it out with the pin, please see photo. I hadn't realised, but the bottom half of the hinge has some kind of black plastic liner which the pin slides into. It was completely dry so I put some 3 in1 oil on the pin and put it back in. Door now opens in silence.
So I am grateful to JohnD for making me dismantle it, and to footprints who already told me to use 3 in 1 but I had just done it from the outside thinking it would seep in.
Maybe this was all that was missing from the original install, I've no idea if it's supposed to need lubrication or not, but it has certainly solved the problem now.
DSC02971.JPG

I was looking for some of these hinges a year or so ago. If you do ever need a replacement these are made by a company called Giesse I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back