Noisy Neighbours. What can we do ?

Sponsored Links
I own my property and have lived in it for 10 years, the last neighbours thought it would be a great idea to smarten their place up. In went laminate flooring etc and they sold it then moved on. The current owner moved in Christmas Eve 2008. His girlfriend seemed pleasant enough, but he had that pathetic 'I want to look hard' look about him.

For 3 days over Christmas all I could hear was him tapping sticks together non stop. Shortly after Christmas he fired up an electronic drum kit at full blast. Shortly after that, she bought a 'puppy'. The thing was locked in the kitchen day and night screaming the place down. I had words and all I got from him was 'thicko' abuse. I complained to the council and the dog warden paid them a visit. They were forced to take it to dog training lessons, but that worked, almost..

Next thing she moved out in April. He moved two of his pond life mates in. The place was turned into an unnofficial pub/nightclub which sprawled into the garden. They would intimidate me if I went into my garden, so this year I have ventured out there precisely twice to do weeding while he has been out.

I did what all of the 'official' advice says. I complained via the council. Bear in mind that I had 3 months of a yelping, screaming dog in their kitchen. The Noise Abatement Officer tells me that this is a fresh complaint so I would have to wait a month to see if things changed, and keep a log. They didn't change, they got worse.

After a month of this, I contacted the council thinking that they would do something. I was told to keep a log on a council logsheet. I did that for month, detailing every occurence meticulously.

I sent it to the council. I was sent another set of sheets to fill in for another month!!

I emailed the NA Officer, and was told that they could install recording equipment. None appeared.

Multiple attempts to contact the NA Officer by phone or email drew blanks.

I resorted to leaving my house at midnight and sleeping in my car out in the countryside just to get some sleep. The NA Officer ignored this.

In October recording equipment was installed for a 'whole' week. When she collected it she advised me that she would listen to it the following week. To this day I have never had a single comment from her regarding that recording, despite asking for a decision numerous times.

I have now been told that as things quitened down for a week at one point, everything since is another 'new' complaint and not linked to the previous disturbances.

Last Saturday night my car was rammed in the early hours, the second time this year. It is parked off road where it has been for 10 years. Hit and run, no one got the number of the van that did it. Maybe a coincidence...

Sunday it was quite obvious that he had given the keys to his house to two 'hired' gang members. They spent 2 hours making enough noise to put a demolition expert to shame.

Suddenly it went quiet and then I hear one of them on the rear decking speaking to someone and saying 'yeh, it went well, great'.

While that was going on I rang the police, only to be told that they do not attend noise disturbance. I rang the council and after a tortuous route was told by their '24 emergency helpline' that they don't attend noise disturbance on weekends???

So no car, no escape, and not a soul in the whole world to whom I can turn to for help. My house has probably been devalued by £10-20,000 as I would have to declare the problem to any buyer. There is no solution to the problem.

For anyone who naively believes that all of this legislation exists to protect the victims, think again. It doesn't. South Glos council will not exercise the law, they back the perpetrators of the noise, blatantly.

I cannot even get the NA Officer to tell me whether they will take any action or not. Absolutely zilch in that respect, despite numerous requests in writing.

And for anyone thinking about installing laminate flooring, it turns your house into an enormous speaker box. If you have double glazing then you have an airtight house, and that means that 'all' sound from your property is amplified through the paths of least resistance, and means it is channelled straight into neighbouring property, thus making their lives a living hell. I was seriously considering ending it all on Sunday, and I do mean seriously.

Bear in mind that I do not use my tv, haven't even switched it on since July (until tonight), and use headphones whilst on my pc. I do not own a music system of any description, and never have visitors. The last time anyone came in they just looked at me in horror, and left after a very short while. I am too embarrased to invite anyone at all to my house. I have to wear earplugs every night, take 500mg of paracetamol, and then put a pillow and a quilt over my head just to get about 4-5 hours sleep.

A long story, but if you want my advice, just move house...assuming that you can find one on the current market???

Merry Christmas...some hope.

Jeezas!!! That is really bad. I don't condone violence and I HATE bullies! Not sure he'd still be bloody breathing if it was me though! :evil:

Sponsored Links
have you tried getting your local MP's to badger the council on your behalf? Surely it cant hurt to try?

have you tried getting your local MP's to badger the council on your behalf? Surely it cant hurt to try?
If you tell your MP that there may be a way to get some OTT expenses out of doing this then you'll stand a good chance of him/her getting involved.

Wibbly, why dont you give them a taste of there own medicine, they have to sleep sometime, invest in a cheap but loud stereo and leave it on full blast when he sleeps.
If he threatens you I am sure the police will soon get involved.
Failing that tell him you are renting it out to students, he,ll soon get the message, even thickos cant manage without sleep.

Sponsored Links
Back