Noisy neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house next to mine (semi detached) is rented. The young man who has just moved in (a couple of months ago now) is a little "noisy". Here's a brief insight into his and his girlfriend's antics:

Most evenings we get a blast of his music, which can only be described as "rave" or what I imagine to be "hard house" (whatever that means). The bass is audible above fairly loud TV, and we can make out the tunes very clearly (if its something we know). The music is accompanied by what sounds like a 1 or 2-man rave, jumping about and shouting in his kitchen (unless this is on the "music"). Yes, we think its a bit odd too.

When the weather is warm, he turns it up extra loud so he can hear it at the end of his garden - and so can all the neighbours.

Anyway, we also have him arguing with his missus on a regular basis. Take last night. We were asleep, and at 1am I was awoken by what sounded like them finishing sex (through the wall). Then the arguement started. Cue a lot of both of them shouting at each other, slamming doors very loud (my ceiling "clicked" and the house shook with the vibrations). There are a lot of these arguements, usually late at night. I am usually up for work at 5am so this isnt ideal.

Now, heres something else. Whenever she is there (most nights recently), she has her (2-4 year old) son with her. So her son and them 2, with all this noise / disturbance in a small 2 bed semi in which you cant have a private conversation without the whole house hearing. So he hears it all, without a doubt. I am concerned for his welfare to be honest (though I appreciate it is little of my business).

I dont want to confront him over the noise issue, as he has never made any attempt to talk to me, despite me being out on the front garden mowing my lawn when he moved in. And he doesnt look like the friendliest of people.

So what would YOU do? I was tempted last night after half an hour laying awake, to bang on the wall and ask them if they would kindly STFU and that I could hear every word.

Sponsored Links
Glad I live in the sticks.

What about soundproofing your walls?

Contact your local council, they deal with noise pollution, they will come out at all hours and if the noise is unacceptable will issue warnings and eventually and ASBO, if all else fails he could be evicted by the landlord

If I was you I would just put it down to bad luck, there is very little you can do in this situation because by the sound of it the only thing you could do is give him a slap upside the head and if that were an option for you am sure you would have done it by now

Unsociable, obnoxious, bad parenting, inconsiderate, typical council estate family, these kind of people are the scum of the earth and contribute nothing decent towards society

If you own your house or have it mortgaged, then consider renting somewhere else at same time rent your current house to a similar kind of family taking a large deposit of course

That way you get peace somewhere else and the scum living next door gets what he deserves

Hope that helps and good luck!!

Sponsored Links
What you have to do is firstly call the local noise abatement team.
Then once on record, keep a record of the times and instances of the items.
Remember before 9pm is not classed as an issue, unless they are working noises. Same goes for before 8 am.
Saturdays its after 1 pm for industrial and still 9pm for shouting/music.
Sundays its a no deal for any industrial but shouting ect is the same.

Sorry to mention industrial/work noise but tis easier to tell all so there is no misunderstanding for others.

I have had to do this once and it is vital you keep a record. You can remain anonymous if you wish, I was not worried myself and they knew anyway I had an issue with them.
Music at silly o clock when I am on 24hr call out isnt needed, Or even on a normal day.
I had two choices, punch their lights out and be nicked or use guile. So records were kept for a month, I know a long time, but the more the better the case. Also recordings are helpful. It is not an instant cure but it does get the job done.

And a slap was indeed given when they argued over the court order, self defence is so satisfying :D

wake up at 4am and play load music back
p.s. is it a mdern house
if so turn the power off from the put side ;)

I'm fairly friendly with Doncaster's chief of (something to do with communities but deals wit noise!). He was once on ITV's Calendar (Yorkshire news) doing an interview on the equipment his dept have seized over the last year etc. I will ask his advice when I see him.

Its nice to hear they can act on this even without my confronting him.

adl, its a 2 bed 1911 semi. 9 inch external walls and spine wall, and lath and plaster partitions upstairs. Its a small house and I dont want to make it any smaller by adding insulation. The houses are identical to the terraces around them, but the road here curves so they threw in a few semis.

And I had considered waking up a little earlier and giving the logitechs a bit of a bashing at 4am, but I figured fighting fire with fire just leads to a massive fire. . . .

I bought this ex council house a while back...cheap...but not the poshest of areas.
Got in one evening to hear the biggest music racket being blasted out of open windows...it sounded like Glastonbury. I thought Jeeeesus...what am I doing here?
Several neighbours complained to no avail,including the old folks in the nearby bungalows.

A black Range Rover with darkened windows pulled up and four 'Apes' entered the block...A minute later silence reigned,and the Range Rover departed.
I found out next day that one of the old folks in the bungalows was the Mother of the local 'Kray family'....they do have their uses... :D

I saw this being done some years ago in a Spanish resort. An inconsiderate cafe owner was going beyond his allowed time and volume of playing exterior music. This, as is the case was annoying the neighbours. So, one of them set up his stereo system in the garden opposite so that it provided feedback when ever the volume of the cafes' music was turned up too loud. The cafe owner was livid because he couldn't do what he selfishly wanted.
It was funny to hear what was going. The scream of the feedback could be heard over the music every time it was played and to stop the scream the owner had to turn the volume down. There was nothing the cafe owner could do because it was his music that was the cause of the problem.
My way of letting someone know their loud music playing was excessive was less subtle. One Sunday afternoon at a friends house I was watching the tv sport when next door started up the loud music. Couldn't hear the telly very well after that. So, I went round and asked them if they would turn it down, not off, just down, because I could hear it clearly through the wall. As you can image my request caused them a lot of distress. So, I backed off. I got a small piece of 3x2 and a lump hammer and put the wood on my friends wall and tapped it a few times with the hammer. It went very quiet next door and my friend never had any problems again.
Did it to another problem neighbour and they went ape shyte. But they were told "Now you know how we feel". I think noisy people listen when you can show them you have a bigger weapon.

I dont want to confront him over the noise issue

Grow a pair FFS.

Before doing anything just have a word, he may not realise that you can hear everthing.

If he becomes abusive then you will have to go to the council. going to the council first may make things worse.

My brother used to have a neighbour such as the one your having problems with. They had an outhouse kindly provided with light and an electric socket. My brother went into the outhouse and plugged in a plug with a wire connected directly between live and neutral to their socket and tripped their electricity. Left it plugged in till morning,(so they couldn't reset it) then went round and unplugged it.
Meanwhile, they had phoned an electrician to come round in the morning (who then found nothing wrong). Same happened several times on subsequent evenings. He even shorted their lights using a 1p piece in the light socket too (friendly is my brother) Noise stopped for quite a few weeks after that. As soon as it started up again, he'd do the same thing.
Nice quiet nights. ;) ;) ;)

I've been through all the scenarios described, loud neighbour, complained directly to him, played loud noise back, he attacked my house with a knife, so not good. Reported to the council, they send you a diary to fill in when the noise happens, and come round apparently to monitor the noise, then they have a word, then if it continues, possible removal of sound systems..

My neighbour the other side is deaf, and was playing TV too loud, when on early shift, so a word with him, was enough.

The origional neighbour, blanked all his windows, his music was bad '80's rock, eventually his house was busted for drugs growing, and dealing. I suppose you must be on drugs to listen to bad '80's rock...

Quietly ask them to be quiet , they may not even be aware you can hear them.
If you go straight to the council you will not be making any friends.

Sponsored Links
Back