Noisy rising main pipe to cold water storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When using the taps upstairs or flushing the loo the pipe to the tank sounds like its wooshing and very noisy. I put a float valve in the tank and its very quiet when filling if im in the loft but in the bedrooms its very noisy.

Ive tried turning the stopcock on the rising main up and down but doesnt make a difference.

Is there anything else I could do? We are considering an extension soon and possibly a new mains fed hot water tank and at the same time get everything like taps and loos mains fed to get rid of the tank but in the mean time any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could convert the cold water outlets to mains fed and use the tank to only supply the hot water cylinder, which I am guessing you have.

You would still hear the CWSC filling when hot water is used though. You may need to either change the valve seat it the WC float valve to a HP version or fit the restrictor that came with the valve for HP water.

You could try fitting a 3/4" ball valve, less resistance for the incoming water to the tank should mean less noise through the rising main. You would have to enlarge the hole in the tank to accommodate the bigger valve although that's not too big a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back