Notching attic trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have seen a lot of guidance regarding where and how joists can be drilled or notched.
Do the same rules apply to attic trusses?

Many thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have seen a lot of guidance regarding where and how joists can be drilled or notched.
Do the same rules apply to attic trusses?

Many thanks

Dave

Do you mean the roof trusses? If so it's something I would try to avoid, as they are holding you roof up. For what reason do wish to do this?
I'll guess for cables or pipe work. Do you have pictures/sizes of the section of them?

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

These are trusses in a timber frame dormer bungalow which I'm having built so they are supporting the first floor. Notches would be 20mm max

It's for under floor heating pipes as the alternative is to loop them over the trusses behind the walls on the first floor, thus heating up the roof void.

I have asked the architect but I'm not at all confident of an accurate response from him as he's a technician.

Dave

Does your roof have a plate like the picture called gang nailed trusses

nail_plate_photo.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dunno.

It hasn't been built as yet but on the architects sectional drawings it does show those nail plates.

I'm just wanting to make sure I know what can and cannot be done before the build starts.

Advanced planning!

Dave

I'm just wanting to make sure I know what can and cannot be done before the build starts.
You will have to get approval for any gang nailed trusses to be cut, drilled or notched, your best bet is to ring the trusses company for advice and tell them what you want to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back