Notice Given

M

Some months ago, i mentioned that i am going to remove some of the "topics" because due to no fault of any ones the website from which the pictures came is no longer available.

So if you have new drawings please add them or change your posts now.

To make life easier i was also going to give each post a referral number, so that for example you could say "to wire that see for reference topic number 2"

I am planning on doing this next week end, so any thoughts please post.

Thanks

L.

Sponsored Links
a load of posts of mine in for reference have pictures that are temporerally unavailible (problem with university user account they are trying to restore from backup but theese things can take a while) please leave those posts alone.

your college seem to have lost your home page too :cry: I wonder do you have the pictures elsewhere? then you could send them to admin@diynot

Re the reorg that someone mentioned - I've been thinking about that too, and it would probably be a good idea to have 2-3 separate "For Reference" topics, e.g.

Wiring diagrams & Practical Advice
Technical Information
Legal & Regulatory Information

or similar - probably no more than 4 max, or people won't know where to look, and there may be a few items which ought to be in more than 1 topic.

Sponsored Links
moderator said:
your college seem to have lost your home page too :cry: I wonder do you have the pictures elsewhere? then you could send them to admin@diynot
university actually

i probablly have all of the pictures on here somewhere but finding them all may take a while

Re the reorg that someone mentioned - I've been thinking about that too, and it would probably be a good idea to have 2-3 separate "For Reference" topics, e.g.

Wiring diagrams & Practical Advice
Technical Information
Legal & Regulatory Information

or similar - probably no more than 4 max, or people won't know where to look, and there may be a few items which ought to be in more than 1 topic.

Seconded, but I'd respectfully suggest, if we can do it, that the first one is the "how to get the best use of the forum (where to look, how to post pictures), the 'netiquette of posting'. I'd also support a simple as poss, otherwise there will be a temptation to Xpost if not sure (when is a labeled wiring diagram becoming technical info for example). However, the one long thread is getting a bit straggly, and could probably be pruned a bit.
regards M. (do we have a preferred diagram format...?)

mapj1 said:
Seconded, but I'd respectfully suggest, if we can do it, that the first one is the "how to get the best use of the forum (where to look, how to post pictures), the 'netiquette of posting'.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14692
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

I'd also support a simple as poss, otherwise there will be a temptation to Xpost if not sure (when is a labeled wiring diagram becoming technical info for example).
More active moderator involvement in moving/editing stuff? Easy solution for me to propose, as I don't have to do it...

(do we have a preferred diagram format...?)
They all have to end up as GIF or JPG files.

erm gif is obsolete use png instead for diagrams

jpeg is for photographic and photo like images

But not too many dticky 'dead' topics crowsing the top of the list please

It might be helpful to structure the reference section like a FAQ, and put in there the commonly asked questions:
- Cookers and Hobs
- Showers
- Security lights
- Downlights
- 2 way switching

pna said:
It might be helpful to structure the reference section like a FAQ, and put in there the commonly asked questions:
- Cookers and Hobs
- Showers
- Security lights
- Downlights
- 2 way switching
Agreed, but also:

Earthing systems and how to work out what you've got
Adding a spur
Extending a Ring
Running power to a shed/garage
Am I allowed to...? (with pointers to the Part P stuff!)
Cable designations (VIR, T&E, 3C&E, SWA...)
TLAs!

Cheers,

Howard

HDRW said:
RED PENCILs!

Actually, all or most of your list is already there, it just needs tidying up, and some of the diagrams cleaned up a bit.

But most of all, can we please have at the very top of the list, with its title in bold flashing letters 1 foot high, a topic called "Part P of the Building Regulations" to stop people posting "info about these new regulations"...

ah but to get the one foot high letters to falsh, theyll need wiring up. now will that come under part P then?? ;)

Shhhhhhh, Don't mention "Part P" :eek: As there might be a "Ban" about the place :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back