Notification Enquiries

Oh, John! Get it right!

In 1987/88 or thereabouts, the Sunday Sport reported a Routemaster being found at the North Pole....

Sponsored Links
Do the job,test it,or get someone from your firm to test it,get the certs sighned , wait 6 months get a periodic done. who knows?

Sponsored Links
I have received a reply (of sorts) to the letter I sent to the BCO.

He did not actually write a letter, just sent some information.

This tells me that in cases where work is being carried out by an electrical contractor who is "not qualified to inspect & test", the LA will require a detailed design prior to commencement of works.

Prior to a Completion Certificate being issued, the Council must be satisfied that an appropriate EIC has been issued and signed by a person competent to do so.

The fees for the work I plan are £220 for the "plan charge" and £220 for the "building notice charge".

There are no fees listed for the "inspection charge".

Further in the paperwork, there is a note saying there will be increased cost due to "arranging another electrician to carry out I & T".

Further on still, it says, "Any electrical installation undertaken by someone who is not registered with NIC or ECA must provide an install cert, together with a test cert prepared by a member of the NIC or ECA."

"If the contractor is not a member of NIC or ECA, then they must complete the design & construction parts of the cert and arrange for an elec contr. who is a member of these bodies to I & T to enable them to complete the EIC."

Some of this is contradictory & does that mean unless you are NIC or ECA you cannot complete the EIC???

Also, they are implying that the I & T cost is bourne by me.
What do you have to do to prove you are "qualified to I & T"?

What twaddle...

Comments please!!

I re-wired my friends house in 2005 and i did it this way.

1. Sent in building notice £90.
2. Got letter back to say it was okay to proceed.
3. Once finished but not plastered over, LABC came round to check, I was actually expecting them to check CPC conductors for continuity, EFLI, Insulation resistance, bonding ETC.

They did naff all apart from telling me that I should have put capping immediately above a cooker outlet (AFAIK if its above a socket you don't need any protection?).

Then they sent a bill saying they'd need £495 to have the wiring checked by a qualified electrician. I wrote back saying it was the LABC responsibility to check the installation and I would write to the ODPM, a week later a "qualified" spark came out to check and then issued a certificate.

While i can't condone illegal activities, if i was in your position I'd just do it and not tell them. If when you move the question of cable colour comes up, you could plead ignorance or state it was done before 1 jan 2005.

sanj

Not when cables are stamped with the date!!

Unless I get hold of "old" cables, either H or non-H that are dated pre PP...

Hi Securespark
could work out good this as im in Stockport (offerton) and may soon be looking for a house to do as a job for my NICEIC Domestic Installers samples.
I have 2381,2391 and a level 2 domestic elec installers qualification.
Im looking for some guidance and im sure we could work something out. ;)

What did you have in mind? I'm looking to do a complete rewire, and due to time contraints mainly, will be carrying out the work bit by bit, circuit at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back