Notification Enquiries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some know, I am now employed PAYE. I am deemed a competent person working for my employer in terms of part p. But not outside of work.

With this in mind, I phoned LABC at Stockport Council to enquire how I would go about re-wiring my home in stages.

I was told as far as he was concerned there were two routes, a competent person, or "DIY". I was deemed to be "DIY".

I asked what he wanted from me.

He wants "Full Plans" including cable runs, accessory positions etc. He is expecting the work to be completed as if it were a refurb, ie raised accessory heights adhered to, smoke alarms & energy efficient luminaires etc...

He wants me to estimate the cost of the work, assuming the hourly rate of a qualified electrician. When I asked what that was, he said, "I'm not here to give you that kind of information."

He will levy charges based on the estimated cost of the work, with the minimum amount of work being £1000.

I asked if it would be a problem if I were to tackle this rewire circuit by circuit. Yes, he said, it would be impossible, as we can only come out to inspect once & once only.

They would want to see "every inch" of cable to check its correct installation so that would neccesitate removal of plaster in rooms where I want minimal disturbance.

In other words, it is impossible for me to DIY this job.

What do you guys think?

I'm REALLY annoyed... :evil:

Sponsored Links
have a quiet word with the boss and explain that it's your own house, and not a relatives or something, then ask if you can put the paperwork through their scheme..

if he has qualms about it, tell him you want to get the "company" in to do it, but that you will do the work for free and buy the bits through him..
offer him some sort of payment for doing the job ( a token ) so that it is an official job on their books..

Could you not sub-contract for one of your mates who can self certify? ;)

hi there

From what i understand you carry out electrical install at work?

If thats the case do you have anyone you work with that can selfcert

Sponsored Links
No, 'fraid not! Everybody at work is in the same boat as I.

Is it worth getting part p certified just to rewire your own house???

I seem to remember that there was one scheme provider who offered a cheaper form of membership, but it only allowed you to notify a maximum of 8 jobs a year. Would this be more useful for the amount of notifiable work you carry out outside of work?

What a pain in the asda, i dont really know what else to suggest, i think it differs on the area you are in as i know around my way you could do the work call the council they send in a contractor he tests if it passes fine if not you have to rip your house to bits to get it sorted.

I'm going to talk to the ex ODPM tomorrow about whether this guy is within his rights to restrict DIY like this. I'm also going to make my copy of Part P bedtime reading.....watch out Mrs Secure!

securespark said:
I'm also going to make my copy of Part P bedtime reading.....watch out Mrs Secure!

Read it to your lads. Should get them to sleep double quick :LOL:

Submit a building notice as opposed to a full plans notice (but something like 2k down on the cost field) and pay your fee, 48 hours later start work, when done (upto 3 years later! but do make them aware of your intended time scale), fax them an EIC, you have complied with P1 through the recommended method in the approved doc of complience with BS7671, its upto them to satisfy themselves that this is the case, if they choose not to come out, its hardly your fault is it!

Or just do it anyway without notification, 6 months later they cant touch you for it, complete an EIC anyway and just file it, when you come to move it may come up, but if you have an EIC that will inspire confidence, may still need a PIR (which you could probably trade for retrospective notification), and possibly may need an insurance policy of the type that is often used when BR (and sometimes planning) issues come up at housesale time.

If BR are reasonable, I'll be above board and politically correct, if not I'd just not worry too much

Rob, it's NAPIT just 8 you're thinking of

trouble is there is nothing to distinguish between someone like u who has a good idea of what they r doing and billy bodger who is an electric shock waiting to happen, part p is crap it makes me laugh that someone with no experiance can take a 5 day course blag the exam and end up as qualified as someone who has been at college for 2 years,

sorry for the rant

Not sure if it would be of any help to you but when i had some problems with building control recarding part p i phoned the helpline no which i think was on the part p document, i had to leave a message and a guy phoned me back, and was very helpful, ( i could probably find the guy's no. if it would help)

securespark said:
I was told as far as he was concerned there were two routes, a competent person, or "DIY". I was deemed to be "DIY".
my understanding is there are "two routes, a registered person, or "DIY". you would be deemed to be "DIY"". you are clearly more competent than most DIY (and many registered), building control are generally helpful on other regs, but many seam to get stuck on part p. it looks like yours is over nannying it. mine said they would be happy for me take take my own time do my own test, give them the test cert, job done! (i told them i could test but Im not a spark, they were fine with that)

andyandy2 said:
i could probably find the guy's no. if it would help

Yes please!

I rang the ex-ODPM today & someone promised to get back. Yeah, right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back