installation notification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wondered if you can help me out.

My friend who is a fully qualified sparky owes me a large favour and is going to rewire my house for me, the problem i have is that because he works for a national firm he cannot provide any paperwork for the work.

What would be the best way for me to get the work certified and 'legal'? through the local council or could i get a local registered sparky to do the final testing and certification once the work has been completed.

Would it be my responsibility to notify the council beforehand about he work?

Any info you could give me would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Registered electricians are not allowed to sign off anyone elses work,so it'll have to be the LABC route, I'm afraid. Make sure you get in touch in good time

SB

They ask for something like 28/30 days notice but usually get away with a couple of days (suppose it depends how friendly your BCs inspector is).
They will inspect at first and second fix.
Your mate can do all the work and fill out EIC and schedules, inspector may request confirmation of test results by testing the installation if not happy with the results given. Sometimes the inspector is qualified to do this or may bring in a third party.
Makes a mockery of "not suppose to sign anything off you didn't install" :confused:

For works of this type, where notification is required as opposed to gaining permission, the notice period is no less than 2 days prior to the commencement of the work unless the work is required as an emergency repair in which case you can notify after the fact.....

Sponsored Links
Pre notify (includes paying the fee) at least two working days prior commencement and then let your man do the works.
Seeing how he`s fully qualified he will no doubt provide an Electrical Installation Certificate with all the test results on.
These can be obtained from the IEE (IET) by dowloading from their website or from some instrument manufactures or from NICEIC or from other sources.
Your Local Authority Building Control will probably pop in and take a look at first fix stage and also on or near completion.
They might want to test themselves (or via a third party) or might accept your mans figures.
The fee might be around £200 (different LABCs charge different amounts) and they should not ask for extra for testing and they should not try to get you to employ someone to do it.
Assuming, of course, you are in England or Wales - Scotland is a bit different

But he's not certifying that he has.

He is not issuing an EIC.

He is employed, or contracted, by LABC to determine whether the work complies with the Building Regulations.

B-A-S,
I knew you was going to say that, but is that not just a get out?
Don't quote my but somewhere within the guidlines of BS7671/GN3.
New Installation should have schedules of inspection and test results accompained with an EIC. To assure it complies to BS7671. These should be carried out by the person(s) or company that install the system.
Not a certificate that it complies to part p, I know that's what's done but just thinks it's a bit of a sham!

There is no law which requires you to work to BS7671 as it is a non-statutory document.
The law does however require you in England and Wales to abide by Part P of the the building regulations.
Compliance with BS7671 is one method which goes a long way to proving compliance with P1 of Part P however it is not the only way to comply with it.
Mad - Yes ;)

But at what point does a competant electrician fill in a form saying that the installtion and the work done installing it, complies to part p of building regs?

When I notify my scheme provider who in turn notify LABC and the householder

A message on their website with his member number, the address the work was done at, and a brief description of the work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back