Nottingham

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,wondered if anyone can advise my son on best route to get a plumbing apprenticeship, he trying usual gov sites etc but without any joy,which is beginning to get him down .He trying to get on to a college course which we will fund .So if anyone would be good enough to offer him advise or maybe a few days work to give him some practical experience he super keen and reliable .. thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
Basically canvass every plumbing business in your locale. Also have a push towards the government's apprenticeship schemes and get the local job centre involved to see what incentives they can offer.

Thanks madrab, pretty much do that , he just gonna have to keep plugging away ..
Cheers

A good door opener is to get him to offer his time for a couple of weeks for free as a trial. One of the biggest things these days is businesses that waste their own time taking on youngsters that then aren't prepared to pull their weight, therefore they are less liable to take on apprentices. If he shows his drive during a free trial, then some may be more open to taking him on.

Sponsored Links
Good idea , I'll get him to try local then work out .. most around here are one man bands and reluctant to share the knowledge

Yep, just keep trying. I wrote to about 50 companies before I got a positive reply when I was looking 12 years ago

Its not that one man bands are reluctant to share Knowledge, the rules and hoops that you have to jump through now to take on an apprentice put most off, I was asked as a manager of a major company, if we would consider work experience placements for final year school students, I said come in and see what we can arrange, at the meeting the woman said we had to have a same sex full time employee stand outside the the toilet door any time a student was in the toilet, and that anyone going out in a van , the Engineer had to have an advanced CRB check, I said but the lad you want us to take , his dad is one of our engineers and he will be going out with him , she point blank refused to budge , so sadly many young kids have lost a chance to get experience with that company

Good idea , I'll get him to try local then work out .. most around here are one man bands and reluctant to share the knowledge

Tell him to keep plugging away darr. We were all in his shoes at one time, though a lot easier for us in the early 70s. But we were all that unsure teenager.

As said, offer to work for free for a few weeks & turn up on time.

I hope he gets something sorted & I wish him all the luck......(y)

@darr you dont say what area of the country that you are in , if you post it , someone on here may know someone looking for an apprentice

It took me the best part of a year to find somewhere when I was looking about 4 years ago, tell him to keep at it and don't lose hope.

I agree with the comment about asking for work experience, this is exactly what I did and I am with the same firm now.

Good luck :)

Its not that one man bands are reluctant to share Knowledge, the rules and hoops that you have to jump through now to take on an apprentice put most off, I was asked as a manager of a major company, if we would consider work experience placements for final year school students, I said come in and see what we can arrange, at the meeting the woman said we had to have a same sex full time employee stand outside the the toilet door any time a student was in the toilet, and that anyone going out in a van , the Engineer had to have an advanced CRB check, I said but the lad you want us to take , his dad is one of our engineers and he will be going out with him , she point blank refused to budge , so sadly many young kids have lost a chance to get experience with that company

What exactly was that woman's job title?

If I came across anyone like that I would be complaining to whatever Gov minister is meant to be responsible for apprenticeships. It is just not going to work.

Whoever looks at post titles?

Any modern trainees need to be mobile and go anywhere for work.

"Get on yer bike".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back