OCLI Training Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I know this has already been discussed to death with most people saying "don't do it waste of money!!!" experience the only way to learn....However my situation might be different..so hopefully you guys can assist

I am interested in doing this course as it allows me to get some plumbing qualifications. My Dad has his own plumbing company and will allow me to work with them to gain experience. This will also allow me to work around my exsisting job...I am 32 years of age so can't really begin a proper apprenticeship which will mean going to college every so often on block release(again I can't do that due to exsisting job)

Do you think it would be worth it to do the course along with getting the experience working with my Dad? or still a total waste of cash?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i can't see why you want to waste your money on the course when your dad can teach you everything for free.

you don't have to do all that course work to do your exam.
if your employed by your dad and build your own porfolio on jobs you have done or worked on, as long as they cover what you would be talt on the course eg bathrooms, waste pipes, radiators, cws etc
you can use that then just pay to sit your exams.
all they require is that you've been in the plumbing trade a min of 5 yrs.

We have discussed this however I can't do it due to my other works commitments (basically can't afford to quit current job) as you are required to attend one week in every three. The OCLI course allows you to attend workshops at times when it suits you.

hi-spec plumbing heating said:
i can't see why you want to waste your money on the course when your dad can teach you everything for free.

if your employed by your dad and build your own porfolio on jobs you have done or worked on, as long as they cover what you would be talt on the course eg bathrooms, waste pipes, radiators, cws etc
all they require is that you've been in the plumbing trade a min of 5 yrs.

So to enable you to undertake relevant exams (i.e NVQ/ City and Guilds)you have to have worked in the trade for a min of 5 years?

I think im with you now....So basically all I need to do is work with my Dad...get him to train me in all aspects of the City and Quilds qualifications then complete assesments with them?

yes work for your dad everyday as doing bathrooms, radiators, cylinders, etc
take pis of everything you do and make yourself a portfolio and describe what work was carryed out.
then their are 11 sections to the nvq
you can buy books with alot of the info in - their are books that have the questions and answers to the nvq.
once being doing it for 5 yrs you can skip all that college crap cause you have a portfolio and hands on
then book in at a college and sit each exam when you want you can even pay for an accessor to come on site where your working to sign off work for your porfolio

you dont need 5 years to get on the course

nvq2 - 2 years
nvq3 = 1 year

easy and a heck of alot cheaper

>you dont need 5 years to get on the course

we know you don't.

five yrs in the trade to take exams on your own without doing the course.

who said 5 yrs to get on the course? ;)

you said

"i can't see why you want to waste your money on the course when your dad can teach you everything for free.

all they require is that you've been in the plumbing trade a min of 5 yrs."

Bugger just re read it

I agree

:)

but while working for his dad he could get nvq3 in three years

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back