Now Enid Blyton is a racist

It's about context, and that word was used as a pejorative term ,often to people not from Pakistan,

Why is it that outrage against use of the "P" word is often justified on the basis that people not from Pakistan were called it? If I was refered to as a taff, jock or frog I doubt I'd feel the need for the English language to evolve for me.

Is this a serious post?

Yes. Why would say an Indian be so deeply offended for being called a Pakistani (or an abbreviation of Pakistani)? Does he hold Pakistanis in such low esteem? What is wrong with Pakistanis that other ethnics would be offended for being called one? Are they racist?

Sponsored Links
Is this a serious post?
Yes, I would think it is.

The fact that yobs shout the word at some people is the problem, not the word itself.
The word is not a racist term because they are not a race, it is the name of their country.
Banning the word will do nothing to aleviate the problem; it is the yobs that need banning.

That they shout it at other nationalities shows their stupidity and ignorance.
When shouted at Indians (am I allowed to write that?) 'by mistake', are they offended by the word or the fact that they are being threatened?
Perhaps they are offended because the two countries don't seem to get along but you know what I mean.

The word cannot be banned because it is the name of a country yet we have to pussy-foot around being careful not to use an abbreviation.
What if the yobs start using the full name?

As above, would shouting "Scot, Scot, Scot" at people in a similar manner, whether they be Scots, English or Welsh, lead to the banning of the word "Scot" and - being English, I presume, would you consider it racist?

Therefore, if the word in question is not actually 'racist' then it has been banned for another reason. That reason being that some yobs shout it.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Therefore, if the word in question is not actually 'racist' then it has been banned for another reason. That reason being that some yobs shout it.

This discussion is becoming a little cyclical now:
It's about context, and that word was used as a pejorative term ,often to people not from Pakistan, so the racist tone has stuck.

Not cynical about the problem but the people who think they know what the solution is.

What if the national front go around shouting "England"?

Sponsored Links
The word cannot be banned because it is the name of a country yet we have to pussy-foot around being careful not to use an abbreviation.
What if the yobs start using the full name?

This!
Yes, what a dilemma!

A parallel may be drawn with the use of the 'N' word which, although unacceptable now, was once commonly used. So it was replaced by a more acceptable term: 'black'. Than that too was replaced by 'person of colour' or 'coloured person', both of which in turn became offensive. Then 'afro-caribbean' and 'african-american' came into vogue.
As I understand it, 'black' is now back in favour and the 'N' word is commonly used by people of that race!

I sometimes worry that I may be inadvertently using the wrong words, so I try to tactfully avoid talking about it. All because some people are easily offended when no offence is intended.

I'd just like to point out that 'Yorkshireman' and 'tyke' are still perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned. In fact, you may all call me a thick, tight fisted Yorkshire b*****d if you wish and I promise I shall not be offended!

But no-one seems to have mentioned the great film 'The Dam Busters'.

Throughout the whole film the black dog is affectionately called N*gger.

That's not banned.

So does this mean saying unacceptable words with affection is the answer.??? :LOL: :LOL:

Apparently, Peter Jackson was going to do a re-make of the original Dambusters film. It's on hold because of his involvement with the Hobbit series.. But,,,,,,,, the dog is to be re-named in the latest version... Ahh well,, whoever let the truth get in the way of a good film? ;) ;)

Apparently, Peter Jackson was going to do a re-make of the original Dambusters film. It's on hold because of his involvement with the Hobbit series.. But,,,,,,,, the dog is to be re-named in the latest version... Ahh well,, whoever let the truth get in the way of a good film? ;) ;)

I doubt very much that any "true story" film sticks to the facts.

I very much doubt that this sequel, whether or not by Jackson, will be as good as the original. Most sequels aren't.

I very much doubt that this sequel, whether or not by Jackson, will be as good as the original. Most sequels aren't.

It might be more accurate than the original though

I don't know. In what ways was the original inaccurate?

I don't know. In what ways was the original inaccurate?

Too many to list but have a look at wiki for starters

Sponsored Links
Back