Oak frame insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken the 1970's ceiling down in our 1780's cottage... it was quite shabby and the insulation above was old mattresses and sofa cushions!

So we're now wondering how to reinstate the ceiling without disturbing the breathability of the room... if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

20160423_111615.jpg
20160423_101717.jpg

Fyi the white between the beams is roofing felt.

Sponsored Links
Sheep's wool?, it would blend in perfectly. :) , unless the building is pre 1600 then hazel nut shells would be more appropriate.
Frank

Well if you're feeling traditional then lath & plaster!

Or how about plasterboard/skim and insulation in the roofspace?

What 'breathability' were you hoping for?

Thanks for the comments...

After a chat with the wife we want to try and open it up and have the ceiling follow the roofline... so we'll end up with the horizontal beams floating in the room. The idea being that we can install hidden lights on top of the woodwork shining upwards to light the room. Oh and she wants as much woodwork as possible on show!

This means I now need to find a way to provide insulation and finished surface between the rafters...

Sheep's wool would be great but think I need to maintain an air gap below the felt?

It needs to be breathable...

Done a bit if googling and think a bit of wood fibre insulation squeezed between each joist with a bit of lime plaster may do it?

I'm really stabbing in the dark so all help appreciated! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Here's another pic part way through ceiling removal from below... To help you understand what we're aiming for :)

FB_IMG_1461402688615.jpg

There's not enough depth in the rafters to fit any meaningful insulation. You'll end up with a cold room - although the apex of the roof will be nice and toasty with all the available heat rising!

There already appears to be insulation between the rafters, so you can't really make the breathability any worse...

There already appears to be insulation between the rafters, so you can't really make the breathability any worse...

Yes there was (but not any more!)

That's partly why I've gone for the slightly more drastic option of taking it all out, whilst there was insulation packed in there was also an air gap at the bottom of the ceiling slope to the outside world! So there was no risk of condensation etc as when the wind blew it blew straight into the room! I want to replace it all and make the room airtight - but to do this and avoid problems we need to maintain/reinastate a breathable ceiling.

Unless I'm wrong on this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back