Oak skirting boards - screw fixing and plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some Oak skirting boards to fit over the weekend. I'd like to screw these in, however I'm a bit lost when it comes to hiding/filling the countersinks. I don't have a pillar drill, which seems to be mandatory to use plug cutters - so I'm not sure how to go about filling these holes with a grain match. Is there an alternative I'm missing ?

Edit: would it work to clamp a scrap piece of timber on top of the skirt to take the plug out of, drilling into that first then the plug cutter can't skew off once its gone through the scrap wood?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you can manage to use a plug cutter in a normal drill if you have a steady hand.
your method wont work because of the size of the outside of the plug cutter,

no doubt you will have some scraps of the skirts left over,stand on them as you drill that way you use your weight to try and keep it central.

drill a shallow hole in skirting first with forstner type bit then the normal pilot hole for the screw. The shallow hole takes the place of the countersink. Get hold of a plug cutter the right size for making plugs to fit your shallow holes and find someone with a drill stand..... alot of people have these things knocking around in the garage then use it to cut your plugs. PS tapered plugs are better than paralell

Sponsored Links
i have never used a pillar drill i just get the plug cutters from toolstation and use a battery drill

i have never used a pillar drill i just get the plug cutters from toolstation and use a battery drill

I think I have the wrong type of plug cutters lol. the ones I use skid all over the place. Lazily I've used the same type for ages without thinking - I'm guessing other types like yours are ok for hand held drills....OP needs to check this aspect out..

I've got the 4 prong type - think I need to upgrade:)

Quicky trick for drilling a hole over an existing hole in timber - cut a 90 degree vee-notch in the corner of a piece of plywood or MDF. Positioned over the hole to be enlarged/redrilled it will guide a Forstner bit when run slowly accurately. May need to be pinned into place on pre-fitted skirtings, though. Will do smaller holes as well, providing an auger bit is used. I've often used this trick for insetting restaurant/pub table number discs flush to the surface

Just a thought, I have used wax filler on an oak threshold, very easy & is not easy to see where its been screwed & filled, is this method not better than plugging?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back