Obsolete Gas Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have now determined that the problem with my Glow Worm Fuelsaver 100 F is the master solenoid in the Gas Valve. The Glow Worm part number is 800869 but it is not 100% certain what the full Honywell part number is although according to Glow Worm it starts VR4601.

If anyone can tell me what the full Honywell part number is and where I might source one I would be very greatful. Also does anyone know if the master solenoid would be the same across the whole VR4601 range and if the solenoid could be replaced rather than the whole valve.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't you have a gas registered engineer dealing with the repair who should be dealing with sourcing the parts?

Most of these gas valves are still available from time to time on Ebay. I might even have one myself! But I keep rare parts for my own customers.

Tony

can't imagine where any difficulty obtaining or repairing this comes from.

can't imagine where any difficulty obtaining or repairing this comes from.

Below is a reply from one supplier and I have had numerous so the queris in my original submission are still relevant.

Gas Boiler Parts [[email protected]]

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately the part is obsolete.

We were notified back in December 2012.

Regards

GBP.

Sponsored Links
Don't you have a gas registered engineer dealing with the repair who should be dealing with sourcing the parts?

Most of these gas valves are still available from time to time on Ebay. I might even have one myself! But I keep rare parts for my own customers.

Tony

The part is obsolete so is not easy to source, especially if you dont know the proper Honywell number. A google search on the Glow Worm part number 800869 returns at least two different honywell part numbers.

The valve in your boiler will have a data plate with then Honeywell part number on it.

Something like VR4601 52234

Often the manufacturers discontinue some versions of the valve and other variants ( with a different second number ) are still produced which they will offer as an alternative.

Be aware that many RGIs will want to imply that a part is not available because they want the bigger job of fitting a new boiler!

Tony

Be aware that many RGIs will want to imply that a part is not available because they want the bigger job of fitting a new boiler!

Tony

Tony, its comments like this that give our industry a bad name.
This sort of rubbish affects you too!

It's true though; not that often that I come across a boiler that I really can't get the parts for.

So I looked up the part myself and it is hard to obtain but is available here apparently.
Part number 800869.
The price is quite high which is an indication that they are either no longer made or very soon will be unavailable.

...not that often that I come across a boiler

You could have stopped there..... :LOL: :LOL:

OP - although obsolete, the gas valve appears to be still available through some trade outlets. They're quite expensive though - retail price is £413.19+vat. Your GSR engineer might choose to pass on some of his discount to you but that is, of course, up to him. As far as I can tell, the solenoid isn't available separately although a call to Honeywell technical might prove me wrong on that point

EDIT...alternatively, buy it off Slugbaby's link, that seems like a good price

The boiler is old and well overdue for replacement.

As shown the part IS available, although expensive.

Unless special circumstances apply, like the house being scheduled for demolition in six months time, a new boiler would be a much better investment.

The engineer should have been prepared to locate a new valve but then given the customer the option of repairing or replacing.

Tony

[quoteThe engineer should have been prepared to locate a new valve but then given the customer the option of repairing or replacing.
[/quote]

Why should he? If he is short of work he might want to. If his order book is full, why would he run around chasing a dream which ends up costing him time and money. I hate sitting in traffic or listening to telephone music sitting in the call Que. If my 2/3 suppliers do not have the part, well then part is not available if they cannot get the part! :rolleyes:

Ok I'm lost now. The fuelsaver 100f originally used an old honeywell gas valve VR4940 (gw part no 417878) which is definitely obsolete. It was superceded by the VR4601 (800869) which is technically obsolete but I cant imagine the main solenoids are any different between all the variants of the VR4601 which are still available except for wiring connections. Could always ask honeywell.

The solenoids can be different as different varients can be for different operating voltages.

But the valve data plate will usually specify the operating voltage and can be compared with the original in the boiler.

Not all gas valves are designed to have just the operating solenoid replaced.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back