Obtaining a quote for new windows & doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cleary, I'm naïve. I thought that agreeing to someone from a window & door manufacturing company calling round to "measure up and give a quote" meant exactly that - but I was wrong.
The person who turned up was eager to agree a sale and wasn't interested in quoting for the work. To cut a longer story short, he left disappointed after 5 minutes when I said I had no intention of making an immediate purchase. Needless to say, their calling card now resides in the recycling bin.

Question is: What's the best way to obtain a genuine quote from a decent company?

Sponsored Links
Go local to a local company not a national

Clearly a guy on commission :eek:
Ask friends or neighbours if they can recommend anyone - no reputable company will expect a sale without a detailed and written quote, and its a good move to shop around. The huge companies seem to have 'negotiable' prices which I find ridiculous.
John :)

Send the rough sizes and styles to me and I will give you a good guide price

Sponsored Links
Yep Local firms every time ..... when we measure to quote , I go in take measurements and styles and the discuss what customer wants , even if pushed for a price on the spot , I won't give it. High pressure sales tactics blinking annoy me!

I can be in someones house for a maximum of 30 mins ... sometimes as little as 10!

Same here. See what styles and get an idea of what they are after. Leave a brochure and email the quote over. It is then left to the customer to contact us.

Thanks for your responses. Most helpful as it re-enforces my own views about obtaining quotes. Hadn't thought about the differences between local and national companies though - interesting point.

Clearly a guy on commission :eek:
Funny thing was, when he realised he wasn't going to secure a sale, he got a little agitated, dialled a number on his mobile, handed it to me and told me to tell the person on the other end (his manager?) why I wasn't making a purchase. Couldn't contain my amusement but managed to say I didn't need to justify my decision to anyone.

Hi God,

I couldn't strike up a private 'conversation' with you - don't know why - hence this posting. Apologies if it goes against forum etiquette.

Thanks for your offer in post#4 to give a rough guide price for replacement of my existing aluminium framed windows and sorry for taking so long to get back. If you can find time to give me an idea of costs, I'd be most grateful. Windows to be replaced are as follows:

All white PVC, casement type, ground floor only
(Width x Height, in mm)

Replacement of existing windows/doors
Patio doors 2240 x 2100
700 x 1300 (1 opening)
695 x 695 (1 opening)
1310 x 1000 (1 opening)
Two of 2450 x 1300 (4 openings)
Two of 700 x 1300 (no opening)
1310 x 1300 (1 opening)

New windows/doors
Patio doors 1925 x 2100
450 x 1925 (no openings)
1240 x 1000 (2 openings)
Back door 920 x 2120
One very tall window (advised it needs to be wood or aluminium framed - prefer latter) 2300 wide and 4000 at tallest point, narrowing over the width to a height of 2450 (4 openings) - think right angled triangle sitting atop a rectangle!

Could you please give a rough estimate for both double and triple glazed? Thanks for your consideration.

No probe. I will look into it and get back to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back