Octagonal Walls for kids Castle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, im currently trying to build a small castle for my 1 yr old. What im a bit stuck with is how to go about cutting the octagonal turret walls.

I want it ultimately to look like this

I have worked out that each of the eight sections of mdf that will go together to make the turret will need their sides to be angled at 22.5 degrees. example of top view;

So, how can I go about cutting these angles correctly out of a 6mm sheet of MDF? , would it be wiser to mark it out in pencil and simply attempt to sand the angled sections?

Any help would be much appreciated[/img]

Sponsored Links
Oly ... depends on the tackle you have in your 'toolbox'. Table saw = tilt the blade then run the mdf through to produce the strips. Ditto with a hand-held circular saw (more dangerous with narrow strips, so watch your fingers & toes). Assumes you have the strips cut to width: Plane = fashion a base jig onto which you can lay your strips, pack below your strip with other thin strips 'till you gain the correct angle then plane your edges ( the jig doesn't need to be anything grand, just robust enough for the few lengths needed to be planed - just pin & glue to hold together). No plane, then as above with glasspaper & sanding block.

If you haven't yet bought the mdf, get it at a timber yard (not a DIY shed) and get them to cut your angled stips on their table saw, it'll take them a couple of minutes.

thank you very much, ill try to post some images of the finished article so you can see how I got on

thanks again

a bit of a nightmare job from 6mm mdf
can be done gluing together a bit difficult

in my humble opinion a large round plastic bottle of the correct size several layers of papermachet or modroc or simmilar
http://www.craftmill.co.uk/epages/S...ath=/Shops/CraftMill/Categories/"Modroc PofP"

much easier much less frustraiting

but please remember all methods and materials need to be checked for 1-3 years sutability ;)

Sponsored Links
what about a sheet of bendy mdf, a 1YO isnt going to know its not hexagonal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back