odd material in door frame/asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UK house built 1978

A few years ago I had my internal doors replaced, only just got round to planning a minor repair on this door strike plate cut out.

I expected it to be solid wood to the adjoining wall, but there seem to be some kind of plaster/cement board (behind the wood splinters). Obviously its only a small gap so I can't get a good look, but it feels pretty smooth to the touch. I have previously had asbestos confirmed in artex and soffits outside, but to the best of my understanding, asbestos isn't typical to be present anywhere else in a late 70s build. It isn't clear in the picture but there is a nail in it, presumably this was to help anchor the wood to it, before it was chipped away.

I am going to fill it so whatever it is will be encapsulated, just wondering what it is likely to be?

Attachments

• PXL_20230123_232453121.jpg
    PXL_20230123_232453121.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 116
Sponsored Links
Looks like a concrete block to me with the usual crappy bulk thrown in. One of the worst blocks for plaster cohesion was a 70's or 80's block that had wood waste particles in them. Plaster would always delaminate from them especially behind radiators.

If you zoom right in, it does look like there are fibres, wonder if its a bit of cement board used as a packer, may contain asbestos fibres if it's of that date.

Sponsored Links
Be careful.
But put a match to ones of those fibres.
Asbestos glows and don't burn.
May burn and smell like hair burning or other smell.
Again asbestos don't smell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back