Odd Reading On Martindale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the Phase Neutral Reversal post, here's my pic of a Martindale exhibiting a lit neon not explained by the instructions.

Sponsored Links
From the instructions "Your socket tester is not intended to replace good electrical practices" even as a quick test only the EZ150 is really good enough. And they all only use 1.6W or 6.9 mA. As an electrician you should have a full test set.

I have noted the warning about not detecting earth - neutral reversal and in real terms even with a full loop tester detecting earth - neutral reversal without removing supply would not be easy. One may get a warning where the earth loop is lower than the neutral loop but random earth bonding can do that anyway. Only with a TT supply could you be 100% sure.

With a TN supply the neutral link needs dropping to test for earth - neutral reversal.

I have never seen the point in the neon lamp tester, you have an earth loop impedance tester so why use a simple neon tester? Even a minor works certificate needs readings which the neon tester does not provide. So why use it?

I remember before the propriety testers came on the market I did make my own tester for 110 volt split phase, two LED's and a neon plus current limiting resistors and diodes to stop reverse voltage. The LED used more power than neon so all good two LED's and a neon, no earth no LED's but neon still lit, and phase missing one LED would fail. But with 64 volt max to earth that is very different to 230 volt to earth. I have wondered how the plug in testers work, using one in the caravan is near enough. One needs to test every time you plug in. And for allied trades or DIY OK. Yes I know years ago there was one earth loop impedance meter between 20 electricians but one hopes things have moved on.

Doesn't it mean 'open' earth?
What does your proper tester tell you?

Screenshot 2016-06-24 08.40.35.png

Sponsored Links
That presumably means the line IS connected to N or E (presumably N, unlikely E)), or there would be no power to light the tester, so it is reversed polarity at that socket.

That's the one I missed, partly because the thumbnail cropped it, rather than shrank it, so in the thumbnail there are no lights visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back