OH bleep !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a small patch of damp mould right at the top of the landing above the stairs..( right in the corner ) so i borowed next door neighbours ladder...

The ladder was too long to wedge in the top stair and go to the wall across the landing ( above the stairs !!! )

So i closed the bathroom door about 4 ft back from top stair and wedged the ladder against the bottom of the door with a thick towel between so there would be no marks...

Grabbed my 5 litre new white emulsion and climbed across to the patch of damp...( roughly about 18ft above bottom stair....u know whats coming dont you....)

The hindge gave way on the bottom of the bathroom door....the door swung in about a foot at the bottom....enough for me to have time to say " oh sh1t " and i was hitting the ladder and bottom stair at about mach 1 with a white exploding bomb at the same time in the hallway...

We did have a nice burgundy carpet in the hallway and burgundy / cream walls lol...

Anyway the bodily damage part...black/blue shins , ankles , knees a jarred back and ingestion of about 1 litre of emulsion.. ( i am lucky i didnt break my shins as the bruises are just to the left of my tibias so im told !!! )This is a day later and im flying from cocodamols lol...
Its all insured tho and they are on the case thank god..

One lesson very painfully learn't....hope it makes you laf..i can a little now lol..

Sponsored Links
Lifting a boiler into a loft using existing loft ladder which we don`t usually do, i have one hand on ladder and one on chasis of boiler . Just at top wrung and ladder shoots away on floor boards and pulls me away leaving mate with bottom of boiler at chest level and 120pound of weight above him. Boiler somersaults bang crash wallop rattle rattle , dented and flue spigot bust,

Get box out skip give the coners a good kick damage box and packaging , take it back to merchants and say look what you have gave us the boiler is knackered . Full off apologies and replace it.

Sponsored Links
Must admit did a simular thing with a new bathroom suite,customer wanted everything positioning prior to fitting to establish where it was going and she wanted no visibly pipe work showing. so we set up mock of bathroom including p shaped bath, sink, and pedestal toilet etc.
customer then wanted to visualize with glass shower screen curved over bath (oh! the things we do.) she then asked a question i turned to answer caught the sink which started a domino effect sink pedestal cistern and bowl pieces missing from them all . the job involved three bathrooms that had all been delivered and signed for by customer but no boxes had been checked. so did same as namsag boxed it all up rang merchant told them how could you deliver three bathrooms with so many broken pieces.
merchant said very sorry had a lot of trouble with breakages from our supplier will insist they over night replacements to you straight away.(NICE) :LOL:

Well, call me a boring old tw*t but I wouldn't be proud of doing that, personally. Effectively stealing. Bet you wouldn't like it if you were the merchant.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :evil:

yea your right boring old tw*t

Makes up for all the shortages on deliveries that cost us a fortune in lost time and return visits to finish job.

Well, call me a boring old tw*t but I wouldn't be proud of doing that, personally. Effectively stealing. Bet you wouldn't like it if you were the merchant.

they are well insured and mess most of us around more often than not!

what goes around comes around! ;) :cool:

And they charge consumers at least 160% more than what they pay for it and God Help You if you are a DIYer rather than a trader!

I have known merchants charge upto 500% when they know the customer is a DIY bloke!

I have known merchants charge upto 500% when they know the customer is a DIY bloke!

Ditto, I was once asked to pay £6 for a box of 100 2.5mm cable clips.
Walked out & went to Focus DIY at £1.99 instead for same things.

LOL. That's the best thing I've heard all day Galvanised. :LOL:

I mean I feel for ya but I've just had to reach for my sleeve to dry my eyes. I guess its all in the mind of the beholder. :D

Hope the injuries heal ok.

Joe

it can also work the other way round,went into a glazing firm for 9 small panes of glass for a door and was told it would cost about a £5,(he threw a bigger piece away in the skip)when i told him it was on the firms account he then said that be £11, :eek: didnt bother me personally but thought it was a bit of a rip off.

Regarding the glass post, I phoned a glaziers and asked for a price for a piece of 6mm toughened glass 24"x36" and was quoted £13+vat. Said "ok I'll be down in about 1/2 hour can you have it ready please?"

Get a purchase order off the secratary and go for the glass. While I'm there he tells me he didn't cut it because people often don't come for what they have ordered. Fair comment. So while he's cutting it he asks whats it for.
"A small shot-blaster in work" I said. "Here's a purchase order."
"Oh no problem" he says, " we've done work for you before so I know it will be paid, I'll send the bill through the post as usual."

3 weeks later I am called in and asked why the bill is for £37.75+vat!! after I told the boss it was £13 +vat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back