Oh, Blimey!

• Thread starter cumbriahandyman
  • Start date
C

cumbriahandyman

Started a job today which was to swap out a bathroom site. A good day, day and a half work. I thought...

Took bath out last and the floor was rotten, took up floor and joist ends are rotten.

Customer quite happy to pay for all necessary work. The only thing I have a problem with is the toilet waste. I accidentally knocked the waste pipe and it came out of the collar fixing it to the solid pipe and I just know that it is not going to go back in and be water tight.

The plastic pipe was only into the solid pipe by about an inch, see pictures.

Can I get a longer collar to connect the two and from the pictures can you tell what size the pipe and collar is?

Cheers...

Photo0020.jpg

Photo0023.jpg

You can see how little of the pipe was inserted.

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like you've got 110mm plastic going into 100mm SuperSleve. I'd change the collar for a 100mm SuperSleve to 110mm plastic, (Hepworth part number SA9). Very surprised that has ever stayed watertight, it looks like a SuperSleve to SuperSleve coupling.

The Hepworth coupling wont be any longer, but is the correct part for that job. You may need a short piece of 110mm plastic and a coupling to make up the difference though. Could be worth protecting the clay with some concrete if customer is happy to pay, the clayware is terribly brittle stuff.

Looks to me like you've got 110mm plastic going into 100mm SuperSleve. I'd change the collar for a 100mm SuperSleve to 110mm plastic, (Hepworth part number SA9). Very surprised that has ever stayed watertight, it looks like a SuperSleve to SuperSleve coupling.

The Hepworth coupling wont be any longer, but is the correct part for that job. You may need a short piece of 110mm plastic and a coupling to make up the difference though. Could be worth protecting the clay with some concrete if customer is happy to pay, the clayware is terribly brittle stuff.

Cheers, thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. Good health to you and yours.

Cant see that pipe being anything else! Use extreme caution though if trying to remove the existing collar, wont take much to crack the clayware..... :!:

Sponsored Links
Cant see that pipe being anything else! Use extreme caution though if trying to remove the existing collar, wont take much to crack the clayware..... :!:

Thanks for the warning, I will bear it in minde. In the event it does crack, what would I need to do?

Replace it! Assuming you can get to the next joint along!

Personally I'd try and lever the collar off, working gently one side, then the other. Gentle tapping of the collar may help. (Make sure that collar is moving, and you're not pulling the entire pipe out the next joint!)

If its been jointed with grease then it may move fairly easily. Other option is to try and cut through the 'lip' that secures the seal with a hacksaw, this should allow you to pull the collar away leaving the seal on the pipe. Cut seal off, fit new collar.

Looks like the old thick walled vitrified clay to me & not the fragile salt glaze , should be able to whack it with a hammer without breaking.

That collar came of with no problem at all, next (tomorrow) I will be sourcing the replacement an fitting it. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks to those who replied with help and suggestions.

I guess, BAS must have been lying when he called all plumbers on this site liars. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back