Oh dear only when caught out.

The UK had a trade deficit problem in out of the EU. Being in caused some investment here. Hopefully as we still have access that will remain. A penalty - a world class boarder force and that has to be paid for. More red tape. In order to export to the EU we still need to demonstrate that sufficient value has been added here. In terms of rather smaller businesses that may be more stringent now than it was. We also still need to meet their rules. The biggest change in this area really is that we can influence import tariffs rather than having to stick with the EU ones. Then of course our own trade deals. Personally I wonder about the benefit of that. Negotiating power tends to relate to the market size a country or group of countries offer. The EU had loads of deals anyway so just what other ones have been obtained and do ours offer any advantage?

So Brexit is a mixed bag in some respects. However we paid in our entry fee and also got some back. Infrastructure. I travel along the heads of the valley road fairly regularly in Wales. A whole section of it was upgraded via EU money A high class road, no islands, proper feeder roads just like motorways. The work continues over the entire length of road to the same standard. :( One new section finished so the Welsh stick a 50 limit on it. The current section where work continues miles of 40mph average speed limiting. Some of the current route is on what will be feeder roads until the main highway is finished. There will be yet more sections to do. Will the standard be maintained or will it go the same way as out motorway network, too expensive so not finished. Just what should levelling up money be spent on? New train station facade so it looks nicer and that sort of thing????? Knock down shops and build new ones when rental costs would increase?????

The trade deficit use to be the economic god but along comes globalisation. That caused the economics to be changed to the metrics that are used now. How those have been viewed has changed over time. eg acceptable debt levels. Now the new fiscal rules. Globalisation also caused some of our larger companies to move work overseas. Also some to drop out of market sectors as they couldn't compete with imports.

Blaming Labour for the GFC. Don't be stupid it was purely down to the banks and hit all countries who ever was in power. Why not blame covid on the Tory? Blame who you like but this type of problem crops up who ever is in power. Covid stung. Others went of their own accord. They spread due to the increase in global travel, That can't just be shut down without hitting economies.

Emergency interest rates? This appears to be what Japan did when it went bust. The general idea is great but some say Japan still hasn't fully recovered. It's an area that interests me but need to go back to MrsT's time. I knew some one who worked in a bank's head office and was told interest rates would be going up as banks had lost too much money by investing in certain parts of the world. They really did go up. Overall I can't help wondering if this wasn't a better solution but I suppose ultra low rates should allow investment to continue in uncertain times but wonder if it actually achieved that and had more of a penalty on things like house prices and consumption. End result an overheated economy with higher rates causing various problems. And also inflation. Somewhat war related.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't seem to understand the words and numbers.

EU membership factually involved a £12Bn annual membership fee (net) and a £91Bn annual trade deficit (net).

Putting to one side all the other costs of being micromanaged by an unelected bureaucracy in a different country, the basic arithmetic is simple. The financial cost to British society as a whole was £103Bn.

How do you account for that with your claim that we are now £50Bn - £100Bn a year worse off? Where is the unaccounted money coming from? It isn't from trade and it isn't from the fees that the EU gave back to us.
Its not my fault you neither accept or understand the numbers.

Brexit costs the UK (net) between £50 and £100 BILLION per year.

Brexit - total pile of UK harming shít.

The article seems entirely focused on areas that have a lot of tourists wanting less tourists, nothing particularly focused on British tourist.

The entry requirements apply equally to any non-EU citizen.

I've never been asked for proof of anything in Spain. Not so Sweden.

Sponsored Links
Yep the EU / France is so good ?? That thousands are risking there lives to leave and get to the UK ;)

Last edited:
Emergency interest rates? This appears to be what Japan did when it went bust. The general idea is great but some say Japan still hasn't fully recovered.

The Yen is weak and their national debt of 240% is the highest in the world.

But still they manage to get the fizzin' trains to run on time.

Nah, they risk their lives to get here. I think you know the difference.

They take their share, as should we.

Dougal makes the illegals sound like cattle.

Of course, the French haven't taken their "share", they've been inundated with people they don't want and are unable to stop, thanks to outdated and idiotic treaties, and the EU.

We are not in the EU and still get migrants risking their lives. It doesn't have to be that way...

Yes, we stop giving them accommodation, free money and health care and the penniless "refugees" won't bother paying thousands to dodgy people traffickers to come here.

Yes, we stop giving them accommodation, free money and health care and the penniless "refugees" won't bother paying thousands to dodgy people traffickers to come here.
It's your government. It's not any other party

Blame them

Yes, we stop giving them accommodation, free money and health care
Basic human needs, but yes you could do that. Or you could have a better system that made use of their skills to our advantage. And save lives at the same time.

Basic human needs, but yes you could do that. Or you could have a better system that made use of their skills to our advantage. And save lives at the same time.

What makes you think they have skills that are useful to us? If so, wouldn't they have applied for residency the normal way as normal people do? And what if the ones entering illegally are doing so precisely because they wouldn't succeed through the formal route as a result of their criminal records, poor English, and lack of any qualifications or work experience? Can you accept that some people will be tossing their passports away and drifting around Europe in a covert fashion, and lying about their backgrounds, because they are dangerous criminals who've fled their home countries to get out of dodge? Why do you think so many of the grizzly crimes happening here are by foreigners?

I think the main question here is: how wet behind the ears are you?

Sponsored Links
Back