Oil boiler in utility room 'a bit smelly'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Having left London for a far more rural location we now have an oil burning boiler (firebird 82) which is a bit whiffy. There was a strong oily smell which we had sorted via a service (cleaning out and changing of injector) and subsequently Changing to an outdoor venting 'tigerloop' ad there was an illegal plastic one fitted indoors)- though not sure which one stopped that smell.... but now there is a fumey smell.

Earlier, I had taken the outer door off and the little red internal cover off to have a nosey
but couldn't spot anything obvious and won't mess with things Gas, electrical or oil...

...but I was in the utility just now (with the light off) when the boiler fired and when I looked down at it I could see the boiler flame through a couple of gaps in the "solid metal" riello burner cover !!

Is this normal or (as I suspect) does me being able to see a flame through gaps in solid casings mean that a seal has failed or has not been replaced properly during the service? The 2 guys I have had look at it so far thought the illegal tigerloop was fine so I Am seeking more up to spec/higher guidance.

All help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Let's have a pic if you can of the suspect area....I guess the flame or light you can see is where the burner locates into the boiler casing?
John :)

Thanks for the lightning quick post. Yes the flame I can see is what you guessed at- I think!

I'm on the new app via I phone so can't see how to post a pic- but will try to send you a pic of the peep hole as it will make more sense.

I can't work out how to post a pic. Could you please pm me your number and I'll text you the pic with the area highlighted.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to get the fitters back the gap can let carbon monoxide out which ain't good.Show them the gap and get them to sort it.

Carbon monoxide was my initial worry but I have a carbon monoxide alarm and according to it the boiler is burning very clean (also according to the emissions analysis) so it is almost as good as new.

IMG_6657.PNG

Managed to add Picture highlight the points where. Flame is visible when the burner is firing. My thoughts are that if I can see a flame through it the fumes (albeit it carbonmonoxide free) can escape and could be what is causing my smelly boiler problem...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Steven

Sorry to be a pain, but just give us a shot from a bit further back, will you.....I was expecting to see a Riello RDB burner with a bright red casing.
For sure there is a foam seal (heat resisting) between the burner and the boiler which could be adrift but I can't identify the problem so far.
John :)

I'll take a pic and post it now. But you are right, I was advised to leave the red box cover outside to air for a few days as it got a some oil on it from the leaky o ring on the piston. Having the red box on makes no difference to the fumey smell though.

Cheers burner man, The spot I can see the flame though is obscured in the picture but I have highlighted it again to try and make it clearer.

On a mectro burner there is no a seal between flange and burner it's metal to metal with an o ring on some models,it looks like there is a leak of gas from the top of burner,means you prob need a new flange and heat proof gasket plus new o ring.Part no B-GSK and B4501 and 3007178 from
heating world of spares.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back