Oil boiler in utility room 'a bit smelly'

Cheers for the concise and very help shopping list!

I just wish I were local so I could get one of you guys to fix it for me. Sadly I am in Northern Ireland nowadays

The local service blokes only seem to know how to clean the combustion chamber out and replace pistons and nozzles. Anything else gets a response of "It doesn't smell that bad"

I assume from your post that those parts failing/or possibly being missing- Would mean I could see the flame(which is worrying) and cause the leak of combustion fumes I am getting?

I just want to know what instructions I need to give the 'engineer' because he thought that fitting a plastic tigerloop indoors was perfectly fine and even when I bought an all metal indoor model he didn't want to follow the manufacturers instructions and use a copper pipe to vent it outside!

Many thanks

Steven

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Really I don't think that gap is anything to worry about,on servicing make sure the techs change the nozzle,if you aren't sure of size of nozzle post it on here and I'll check my books and tell you,need make of boiler and size in btus or kw,also make sure they take out and clean the baffles also when the analyser has been used check the O2 it should not be above 4.5%-5.5% if it is then they are putting too much air in to keep it clean, you should always have a little bit of soot.
By the way heating world of spares no is 01388 760333 Bob.

Tiger loops shoal be out side if you have any doubt contact OFTEC and report the tech he's got to be a muppet.

Cheers, in Northern Ireland putting the illegal plastic loops inside seems to be the norm. I bought the all metal one designed to be used indoors and it vents outside. He wanted to leave it venting indoors- so a muppet he is, but so was the first guy who also said it was 'grand' as it was.

So do you not think that the fumey smell is coming from the unhindered path from the burner into the room.

Sponsored Links
It's more likely to be coming from the leak from the top of the burner where the scorch marks are so with a new flange and gasket plus o ring it should be ok.Bob.

IMG_6664.JPG
IMG_6664.JPG

Those were the readings from the service just after I moved in and the faded looking one is from a service the previous owner had done a couple of years ago.

Is the baffle seal one of the parts boffin mentioned or another possibility And /or something else worth doing at the same time?

Cheers.

If you can see that plate above the burner (held with 4 nuts if I recall) there seems to be soot marks at the bottom.....which isn't really kosher. I imagine there is a rope seal behind that plate that has seen better days.
I think Bob is referring to the flange plate that the burner tube pushes in to.
John :)

Those were the readings from the service just after I moved in and the faded looking one is from a service the previous owner had done a couple of years ago.
Both those printouts are one of the same..

It is perfectly normal to see the flame in the area you highlighted.

The Tigerloop Bio should be vented to outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back